mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Naked Shifter Cable or Full length Cable Housing?

After having my shifter cables frozen many times this winter I've decided to move the naked shifter cable from underneath the bottom bracket (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?) to over the top tube.

My bicycle is not house trained so it spends most of it's time outdoors. I don't like the idea of water getting into the cable housings and I don't really trust cable boots to keep the water out. So I'm planning to run the cable housing full length from the shifter to the derailers.

Does anyone have any good reasons not to run the shifter cable housings full length?

I also wonder what the best ways are to fasten the cable housing to the seat stay near the rear derailler and also fasten the cable housing to the top tube at the front.

A clamp on cable stop should work on the seat post as the cable exits the housing for the final run to the front derailler. But the cable housing does need to be secured at the front of the top tube.

What are your suggestions?

Scott Novak

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Full housing is the way to go. I've seen housing clips that are held onto the frame by zipties that might work for your rerouting plan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just installed a full length cable housing to the rear derailer. I relocated the shifter cable from underneath the bottom bracket to underneath the top tube. Even through the cable housing is still a bit long, the shifting is already much improved.

The weight weenies can chop their cable housing into little pieces if they want to. I'm using full length cable housings from now on.

I found some used Shimano black plastic cable clamps that work well to hold the cables. One of them fits the seat stays quite nicely. I wish that i could find more of them.

Scott Novak

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Alligator The Gripper III Stick-on Cable Guides | Alligator | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

I've used these.. they work.. they have zip-tie units like them also.

simple also is hit the zip tie section of your local hardware store.. they make zip ties that have a screw hole in the ends for attaching phone/internet/what ever cables to studs and such.... the hole is a tad small for the housing but can be reamed out..

Shop Gardner Bender 30-Pack 8-in Nylon Mounting Cable Ties at Lowes.com
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/