mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! n00b here! Went for my first ride....need help!

...all I can say is I'm addicted. I bought an Ironhorse Warrior 1.3 from Dick's Sporting Goods. I figured I'd learn how to ride with this one and not destroy a $1000 bike in the process The only other bikes I've ever had have been from Walmart or Toys R Us...so this bike feels VERY different So I went for my very first trail ride...it was awesome, but I already have problems:

1- The 8mm allen screws that hold the cranks on loosened several times. I tightened them down 3 or 4 times while at the trail and they would still loosen. The crank is a Truvatin isoflow. Is this normal on a new bike? Any suggestions?...I'm considering using some red loctite

2- When I stand up to pedal hard, I hear a creek coming from the crankcase. When I first bought the bike, I rode it for a day in my parking lot and heard this same creek...I took it right back to the store and they fixed it..until now. What could be causing it? Bad bearings already?

3- My biggest problem while riding was keeping my feet planted on the pedals. When I would ride over roots or rocks, the ride was very rough and I had trouble staying on my pedals. I'm really looking into getting a decent set of clip pedals. Would it be wise to switch to clip pedals now? What are a good set of clip pedals that won't break the bank?

4- The Cane Creek headset is already loose. There is some play between the front fork and the frame. How can I adjust this?

Before I started riding, my hobby was cars...still is...so I figure there isn't much I wouldn't be able to do to this bike with my tools...so don't be afraid to get technical! Also, what essential upgrades would you recommend right off the bat?...things to consider: I'm 6ft tall, 215 lbs, and hope to ride every weekend...I'm also the type of rider that's not scared of hitting any sort of jump....and falling :P...so I guess you could say a bit on the harsh side

ridin' Mary
    Welcome to the club. MTB is indeed a blast.

1. My new bike also has Truvative cranks (Stylo), and the non-drive side crank arm screw came loose on me several times. Blue locktite has held it tight over the last ride or two. I'm hoping this is a lasting solution. But if it happens again, these cranks are gettiing yanked off and tossed for something better.

2. I'll let someone else handle this. It could be frame creak or the BB. This is hard to isolate.

3. This is easy. Get your butt off the seat in the rough stuff. Put your weight on the pedals at the 3:00 and 9:00 position and your feet will stay on just fine. I ride a hard-tail, and my legs are the shocks so I'm out of the seat on all parts that are difficult.

4. The headset adjustment is way too simple now. It used to be a b!tch when it required two wrenches to adjust. Now you just loosen (not remove!) the one or two bolts that hold your stem to the steerer tube, tighten the screw at the top of the cap that covers the steerer tube until the headset tightens up, and then tighten back up the stem bolts. You want this snug so the headset has no forward/backward play when you clamp on the front brake and push the bike forward and back. But you don't want it so tight that the bars are prevented from easily turning.

Enjoy your new ride!

thecentralscrutinizer
    There are always some creaks and rattles with a new bike. The cranks can be tightened and use a couple drops of Blue Loctite on the threads. Make sure you grease or use anti-seize on the spindle too. Shimano 540 pedals are very reasonable. Shoes can be expensive though.

Good luck with your new bike.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman