I win.

N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide

So I finally decided to convert my bike over to a 1x9 setup.
    After Doing some research I decided on the N-gear jump stop to fulfill the duties of keeping my chain from jumping off on to my bottom bracket.

I placed my order HERE.
    Emailed the owner, $10.40 through paypal, and 3 days later the jump stop was at my door.

It came in a yellow padded envelope.
    In there was a nicely packaged setup.
    Here's everything it came with:

This little bit is the piece that does all the work. It's a nice piece of steel. Not easily bendable and really light weight. (The whole kit weighs 30grams)

Here is the band that attaches to your bike. It's made of a fiber reinforced material. Doesn't like to be bent sharply but that also means it's more rigid and will probably hold up real well.

This is it all put together and fully extended. At this length it'll reach some bikes big rings.

Here it is closed down all the way:

One neat little thing to note is the little notch on the bolt that slides inside the tracks of the metal cage. This helps to keep the bolt from loosening up. Nice attention to details.

And finally here it is mounted up to the bike. As you can see it's only a little bit more than halfway extended. Plenty of room for adjustment.

I haven't had a chance to ride my bike yet but when I do I'll post how everything went. I'm also still waiting on a BBG bashguard to finish out everything.
    Hopefully with the bashgaurd and my Jump Stop losing my chain will be a thing of the past
    Last edited by Popper252; 10-28-2007 at 09:53 PM.
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

mechmann_mtb
    N-gear works ok for light duty stuff. I have switched my XC bikes to Rohloff guides though. they are more durable and do a bit better of a job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks for the great pictures. I was wondering how that thing worked, they should put your pics on their website

I win.
    The rohloffs are nice but they're also really expensive for what they are. At 65 dollars each they just don't make sense.
    10 dollars for this guide and 14 bucks for a bashgaurd is still well below what a rohloff would cost. Plus you're getting the added benefit of chainring protection.
    Not saying it isn't right for some people, but for me I found this to be more cost effective without losing anything in terms of performance.

And thanks for the compliments norton. I figured I'd throw up some detailed pictures for everyone to have a look at.

Took my setup for a ride today and it preformed flawlessly. Didn't lose my chain once the entire ride. I was making sure to hit the roots and stuff especially hard and the jumpstop/bashring setup took it all in stride! Very cool
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7

pedal pusher
    I just ordered one of these a couple days ago from the guy who makes them. Haven't heard from him since, so I'm wondering if that's normal (I asked him to let me know when it shipped).

mtbr member
    Hi
    I've tried to contact the guy (Nick) two or three times on the last months, asking if he could sell me a new clamp for my jump stop (I have a new frame with a diferent sized seat tube).
    He didn't said nothing, which is weird, I think. So, anyone knows a way to get a new clamp?

pedal pusher
    I've found he never responds to emails, but always delivers a product so long as you give your name and address. Try asking for the part, give full mailing info, and see if it shows up in a few days.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Popper252
    Hopefully with the bashgaurd and my Jump Stop losing my chain will be a thing of the past
    I've been using this setup for about a year on a hardtail and I have never once lost a chain. Just be sure to make the chain as short as possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used to use this setup on a 4 inch FS Giant NRS full suspension bike and it worked about 98% of the time which was really nice compared to not having it. Every once in a while, the chain still would come off, and it was hard to get it unstuck because it would get jammed under the Jump stop and behind the chain-ring.

I imagine perhaps on a hard-tail it should probably work 100% of the time.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I've been using this setup for about a year on a hardtail and I have never once lost a chain. Just be sure to make the chain as short as possible.
    I'm not sure the chain needs to be as short as possible. I left my chain's length alone so I can still put a 46T ring on those times I want to, and it's never come off with the Jump Stop.

osmarandsara, you're right about that--with a hardtail, it pretty much just always stays in place. I've seen somewhere, a simple mod done to the metal part of the Jump Stop to prevent the chain from coming off even better. Try Googling it, but the basic idea is to carefully bend the metal so it curves over the top of the chain, preventing it from raising off the chainring's teeth.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I'm not sure the chain needs to be as short as possible. I left my chain's length alone so I can still put a 46T ring on those times I want to, and it's never come off with the Jump Stop.

osmarandsara, you're right about that--with a hardtail, it pretty much just always stays in place. I've seen somewhere, a simple mod done to the metal part of the Jump Stop to prevent the chain from coming off even better. Try Googling it, but the basic idea is to carefully bend the metal so it curves over the top of the chain, preventing it from raising off the chainring's teeth.
    The shorter it is, the less slack to allow it to fall off. I'm not saying it must be short as possible, but some people don't have 100% success with using just the jumpstop, and this could help. Sure, if you want to leave the option of a big ring open, it will be longer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I got a quick e-mail response from him on mine, since the ST clamp wouldn't fit. My steel frame has a nice thick powder coat on it...he said to soak it in hot water to allow it to become more pliable, then mount.