mtbr member

At my wits end...shifting problem

The shifting problem is that if I dial in the higher (outside) gears perfectly, then the lower (inner) gears jump around the cogs. If I dial in the lower gears then the higher ones skip around. Very frustrating. I've followed the instructions on the Park Tool site and I have never had this kind of problem dialing in a bike before.

(If it matters, I just bought a Iron Horse Hollowpoint this weekend and replaced the stock XT shifters/derailleurs with my SRAM X.9 setup from my old bike...the sram set worked fine on the old bike.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Sometimes...

and this probably isn't your problem, the cables get grunged up and the spring on the derailleur isn't strong enough to overcome the friction. Pull your cables, clean, lube and look for a kink also.

Bodhisattva
    First, I'm assuming that the RD limit screws & indexing has been properly adjusted and that the drive train is new.

Try to get yourself a Park DAG-1 RD alignment tool & make sure the RD hanger is properly aligned. I've been surprised at how many hangers are misaligned, even when new, and have found it to be a common cause of mis-shifts.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Well the problem is fixed now. I had pulled the wheel, cassette, chain, RD and shifters off my old Dakar. Moved the entire driveline over to my new Iron Horse Hollowpoint. Everything worked fine on the dakar but caused problems on the Hollowpoint. Finally I ended up throwing the new cassette and chain on the bike and it worked fine. The chains were both the exact same length so that was not the issue. I guess the new bike just didn't like those old parts. I guess that would be like asking a new wife to wear your ex-wifes clothes...not a good way to get her driveline tuned in

But I appreciate the replies. My next option was to have the hanger checked out.