Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

My shimano derailleurs keep failing at the same spot.

That little turd of a piece of metal has failed on every one of my dérailleurs. Every time I hit my derailleur somehow this thing gets bent. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any quick and easy fixes (besides no longer riding and hitting my derailleur).

I switched over to SRAM recently solely because I have trashed a DEORE, LX, and XT in the past 4 months. I don't want to give up my shimano feel, but I just did it yesterday. I looked at the SRAM x9 and it has a much beefier piece of metal at that failure point, so hopefully it will not happen.

Also does the new SHADOW XT address the problem?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey

That little turd of a piece of metal has failed on every one of my dérailleurs. Every time I hit my derailleur somehow this thing gets bent. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any quick and easy fixes (besides no longer riding and hitting my derailleur).

I switched over to SRAM recently solely because I have trashed a DEORE, LX, and XT in the past 4 months. I don't want to give up my shimano feel, but I just did it yesterday. I looked at the SRAM x9 and it has a much beefier piece of metal at that failure point, so hopefully it will not happen.

Don't hit your derailleurs!

I have not had that stop break in years.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

seems like the shadow doesn't have that "tab" anymore....

I haven't broken that tab either....

I agree with shiggy...RD are not designed to be banged

2008 shimano deore XT shadow derailleur
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-22-2007 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Don't hit your derailleurs!

I have not had that stop break in years.

I guess I will just leave my bike in the garage or stick to fire roads then....but then again that isn't much mountain biking.

Just because you don't enjoy the gnarly stuff doesn't mean I cannot!

Is there any quick and easy fixes (besides no longer riding and hitting my derailleur). I put that in my original post because i knew this lame response would come.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I guess I will just leave my bike in the garage or stick to fire roads then....but then again that isn't much mountain biking.

I don't think he's saying that. It is possible to avoid whatever is breaking the derailleur. Maybe you're a candidate for a singlespeed....no derailleur.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Is there any quick and easy fixes (besides no longer riding and hitting my derailleur). I put that in my original post because i knew this lame response would come.

what he meant... is that you cannot expect a light component such as this kind of derailleur to withstand abuse over what it is designed to take..... for example you can go for a Saint or similar RD setup if you want a tougher RD.... the SRAM RD will also break if you bang it enough... it's part of the cost of "gnarly" riding.....

maybe something like a "hanger banger" can help give additional support....but unfortunately parts will break if you hit them hard or just in the "right" way...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    seems like the shadow doesn't have that "tab" anymore....

I haven't broken that tab either....

I agree with shiggy...RD are not designed to be banged

Good to hear the shadow doesn't have that little tab. That may make me wander back to the shimano line-up someday.

Apparently someone else noticed that tab was going a little too often and made some changes.

As for now I'll see how long the SRAM holds up. It has a much beefier tab there that looks like it will be able to take more than 1 hit.

ups and downs
    If you're prone to whacking derailleurs, put a North Shore Billet Hanger Banger or Brake Therapy's Sinner derailleur guard on the bike, they will protect the derailleur from more abuse, but then you have to live with the increased risk of damaging the frame's hanger/dropout, as it transfers the impact away from the derailleur to the frame. Essentially XC derailleurs and derailleur hangers are designed to be expendable in a crash, like a 5mph bumper on a car, to protect the rest of the frame.

The Shadow is intended to make it harder to whack the derailleur by hiding behind the chainstay, but if you do hit it with something as hard as you've hit the previous derailleurs, it will bend or break as well.

The Saint derailleurs were the only ones designed to take a bigger knock and keep on going, but you can still break them if you hit the parallelogram. And you'd need to use the Saint/Hone hub.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    And you'd need to use the Saint/Hone hub.
    any hub with a 10mm Through Axle should work.... but I agree that it is important to note that not every hub works on this setup

ups and downs
    It was the expedient recommendation....

It was the expedient recommendation....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you're prone to whacking derailleurs, put a North Shore Billet Hanger Banger or Brake Therapy's Sinner derailleur guard on the bike, they will protect the derailleur from more abuse, but then you have to live with the increased risk of damaging the frame's hanger/dropout, as it transfers the impact away from the derailleur to the frame. Essentially XC derailleurs and derailleur hangers are designed to be expendable in a crash, like a 5mph bumper on a car, to protect the rest of the frame.

The Shadow is intended to make it harder to whack the derailleur by hiding behind the chainstay, but if you do hit it with something as hard as you've hit the previous derailleurs, it will bend or break as well.

The Saint derailleurs were the only ones designed to take a bigger knock and keep on going, but you can still break them if you hit the parallelogram. And you'd need to use the Saint/Hone hub.
    Now the hanger banger/sinner sounds like a good idea. Any idea where to actually purchase them? I cannot seem to find a link to an actual retailer on the site.

ups and downs
    Universal Cycles lists them

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...54&category=73

and John Henry Bikes has the NSB Hanger Banger

http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/catalo...ry=0&item=2110

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Universal Cycles lists them

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...54&category=73

and John Henry Bikes has the NSB Hanger Banger

http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/catalo...ry=0&item=2110
    Do you think this will actually stop the failures happening from where I mentioned before? Also besides harming the frame, will this cause more failures anywhere else? I assume the derailleur arm is more likely to bend. The crazy part about this is that all of my derailleurs were 100% fine besides that little piece. Never a bent arm...nothing else.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have ridden gnarly stuff and have the scratchs on the RD to prove it, but never broke one, or that tab. (worn ine out thought).

Every thing will break, so my guess is your banging something unneccessarily. Clean up you riding, with whatever system you choose.

Person
    Sep 2005

You can replace that "little turd of a piece of metal" for a few bucks.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    any hub with a 10mm Through Axle should work.... but I agree that it is important to note that not every hub works on this setup
    I've seen people use XTR wheels with a Saint derailleur.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Seriously, I have been riding mtbs for more than 24 years in all sorts of conditions and many, many bangs/crashes/scrapes. Have had that stop break on ONE derailleur and that happened when it was sucked into the spokes.

Are you on a fully? If so is your chain long enough? If it is too short s##t breaks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    You can replace that "little turd of a piece of metal" for a few bucks.
    How would I go about doing that? I have kept every derailleur I thrashed because I figured they could be fixed. Any good guides on that?

Person
    Sep 2005
    How would I go about doing that? I have kept every derailleur I thrashed because I figured they could be fixed. Any good guides on that?
    Your LBS should have a parts list for all Shimano derailleurs, and if you're lucky they will have the right part in stock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Learn to pick better lines

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Learn to pick better lines

Thanks for that very helpful information. You must be the best biker in the world if you have never messed up a line. And messing up lines where I ride means a lot more than not getting up the hill....it means exploded derailleurs.

Pick a good line through this after a full day of riding (actually I bent my derailleur trying to climb this, not on the descent...I didn't get very far )

bcd
    mtbr member
    i would switch to sram, i better design all around.

i am on my 3 der death this year. i think i like my chain

to tight and the hanger bushing area gets all sloppy.

keep riding the hard stuff, your equipment should not keep

you down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for that very helpful information. You must be the best biker in the world if you have never messed up a line. And messing up lines where I ride means a lot more than not getting up the hill....it means exploded derailleurs.

Pick a good line through this after a full day of riding (actually I bent my derailleur trying to climb this, not on the descent...I didn't get very far )
    I've destroyed my share of derailluers this year, all sram, BTW. But they were all my fault from picking bad lines. By design, a derailluer is a very fragile piece of equipment, and you gotta ride to protect them.

But to now add something useful, the strongest one I've used was an X7. It seems to last better than the few X9s I've destroyed. Maybe it comes down to how I have hit them, but my X7 is trashed but still working

mtbr member
    I've only hit the derailleur once while riding but I've dealed with damage like what you're describing - in my experience it only happens when something gets cought in your wheel and spins the derailleur into the spokes. In any case, this is not the kind of damage that would warrant buying a new derailleur - I've used two derailleurs wih the metal piece either bent or snapped off and had zero problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast