Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

my search Kung Fu is weak! single ring cranks

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  beerguitar69 
#1 ·
i want to run a single ring front. i like the "better" chain line it will provide. BUT, i want to be able to run a 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32 tooth ring. maybe not all, but i want choices. i NEED to be able to work up to 32T. so, since a 104BCD is unable to go lower than 30, and even that is very $$$, what crank can i run? i know that i can run a triple or double and use the granny section, but id like to have the center location for the chain line.

this will be on a Yelli Screamy. needs to be all mountain capable with a 300# rider.

68/73 BB, thinking 170 or 175 arms. but thats a whole different topic!

thanx for any foresight you may have.

joe

#2 ·
You need a splined crank then. I think it's the Shimano XTR or there are several SRAM ones - the XO for sure.
Problem is the chainrings are custom and expensive and take time to get.
So say $400 for the crank and then around $100 per chain ring, nothing to it.

You might be able to get a BMX crank to work but I'm not sure the small rings are available. You will have to search around for that.

#5 ·
Yelli screamy support GXP bottom brackets? There are several SRAM cranks in the X7/S1400/X9/S2200 family that support spiderless chainrings. There have been deals to be had on them lately, as low as 129 with bottom bracket.

MRP came out with their bling rings lately, which are made to run on sram spiderless cranks and as far as I remember can go as small as 28t.

#8 ·
lewke, i hear ya buddy. but i have to buy a crankset/BB, so im shooting for what i want!

looks like the XX1 cranks are smaller BCD @ unknown #. but they are available with 28 and 30t as well.

the Blackspire badger freeride crank comes in a 5 bolt 94 bcd, which i can find 29, 30, 31, and 32 in.

I was also just thinking that it wouldnt be to much suck to run a 2X or 3X and just hand swap the chain over from small to middle, being i dont want a front derailleur. with this, i can run the 32t for as long as my ***** legs can muster, then swap to the granny at the end of the day if necessary. thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.