mtbr member

Is my rear hub toast?

I've been running an American Classic disc hub for 3 1/2 years and after some initial problems ,which AC fixed, it has worked pretty well.

Lately, on cold mornings it has started to not engage the palls after coasting a bit on a twisty slalomy downhill trail. At first it would only spin a quarter or maybe a half turn before engaging... then Friday morning it was more like a whole turn and it happened more often. After a couple of smashed knees into the handlebars I decided to tear it apart this weekend and see if there's anything I could do.

I cleaned out all the old grease and regreased very lightly with a light grease (Rock and Roll fork grease).

I also noticed if I removed one of the two tiny shims separating the wheel bearing from the free hub bearing it seemed to engage better.

Reassembly complete, I went on a few test spins around the block and everthing seemed good again. Though by the end of today's morning ride it was starting to act up again.

New hub time? Or is there something else I can do?

pronounced may-duh
    Replace the cassette body

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the opposite problem with my Chris King hub. I would coast and it would try to keep turning. I tore it appart cleaned and re-lubed with Tri-Flow ONLY no grease. This solved the problem and seems to work better than new. I was worried about the bearings not getting enough lube but have about 600 miles on it this summer and no problems.
    www.mudrider.blogspot.com