mtbr member
    Mar 2009

My rear derailleur bent...

After snapping my chain, i realized that when i put my bike in first gear, the derailleur arm hits the spokes. Do i need to buy a new one or can you fix a bent one... If i need to buy a new one, what is the best kind, im running a 9 speed, with 22T and 32T on a hardtail so idk if i need long cage or whatever... any help would be appreciated (bent derailleur is a sram 5.0)

Thanks

~Disc~Golf~
    it is most likely the hanger, They're supposed to bend before you derailleur does.
    check that first
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im guessing i can buy a new hanger then or should i go for a better derailleur?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Steezey
    Im guessing i can buy a new hanger then or should i go for a better derailleur?
    You can usually bend 'em back - your LBS will have a big-fancy tool that threads into your hanger and checks for true-ness and straightens accordingly - I however use my big ol' crescent wrench (derailleur off of course ) and a keen eye.

Have you looked to see if in fact it is bent? If it is you can use one of the solutions above.
    I would buy another hanger to use as a spare - It's good to have on ya just in case one breaks on the trail or you don't want to or can't fix it right then.

Upgrading the derailleur - that's your call, but if it still works good with a true hanger, I'd keep it myself (that's just me)

PS---A photo from the rear (along the same plane as the rear wheel) would help alot for us to determine whats goin on

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Lucky you, I clean snapped mine off today, took out one I9 spoke. Lucky I have a spare.

In the past I have merely bent the hanger like was mentioned, and I too bent it back. After I got a new one I swapped it out and used the 'fixed' one as a back up.
    I wish I had a back up rear derailleur...
    CDT

~Disc~Golf~
    Tony,,, if ya just had 'regular' spokes maybe ya wouldn't of snapped the hanger j/k
    (messed up the mech too?)
    those I9's are BURLY... I'm surprised broke one, haha - good thing ya got extras