mtbr member

My lockring disintegrated !

So I was riding my Kula Supreme this morning when I put it into high gear ... only to have my entire drivetrain lock up momentarily. After shifting cogs, it seemed to free up so I continued on only to experience some difficulty with my smaller cogs. I finally got off my bike and to my utter dismay, I noticed that the 3 smallest cogs weren't turning.

I removed the rear wheel to take a closer look when my casette slid off the hub.

Here's a picture of the lockring. Note the shavings of metal inside :

So my question is this, how could this happen ?

Some info about the bike. It's based on a 2006 Kona Kula Supreme which was assembled using various parts by my LBS. The crankset is an XT (Octalink 2), the chain is a new XTR and the hub is a Chris King ISO disc with an XTR cassette. Everything except the XTR cassette was brand new. The bike has maybe 200km on it at most...

I know... I know... buying a used cassette is like buying used underwear... and using it with a new chain can't be good for the drivetrain either. But what's with the lockring ? And where did all this metal come from ?

The Chris King ISO hub also had lots of shavings inside but seems to be ok mechanically for now.

Was it just a case of a bad install combined with the fact that it was used ? Or is some incompatibility between Shimano and King.

I'm about to throw away the XTR cassette and get another hub but I'd like to make sure that a new hub/lockring will fix this issue. Should I get the rear hub serviced while I'm at it ?

Ken.

Faller - Expert Class
    Do a search on here, but I almost want to say that I remember an issue with the King and Shimano compatibility regarding very little thread for the lockring to thread onto. I could be wrong, but once you mentioned your problem, it seemed to ring a bell. I know it's not too much help, but I figured I'd at least chime in.

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Meh
    Get a King lockring, has an extra thread to keep the cassette secured on . I just put an XTR cassette on a king hub & my mechanic showed me how the Shimano lockring wouldn't tighten properly & would slip when torqued down. He put on a King Ti lockring & its nice & snug. Interesting to watch it right in front of you.