mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Is my front derailuer stuffed? (adjustment Q)

When in the largest chain ring the outside of edge of the FD is rubbing on the chain. When I try and adjust it off with the limit screw it does not move. I can move it with my hand but no amount of tinkering solves the problem. The cable looks to be in good condition and it makes no difference whether the cable is connected or not.

I've read the how to's on various sites and I've successfully adjusted it before many, many moons ago. Something this simple shouldn't be this hard so help me MTBRers

Can anyone suggest anything?
    Unaffiliated Non- Conformist

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your cable isnt pulling far enough, turn the barrel adjuster. the limit screw stops it from pushing so far that the chain falls off, you're having the opposite problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the reply.

I've got the chain rubbing tuned out and the upshifts are sweet as, but my downshift from big ring to middle ring just ain't happening. If I throw it to granny gear it will move through the intermediate ring to the small ring. From big to middle just don't work though.

Any advice? Too much tension, not enough?

tjc
    Weekend Rider
    Aug 2006
    I have the same situation on an XT derailleur with truvativ stylo chainrings. Don't know if it's the derailleur, the chainline or the combo - but when I adjust the barrel to just clear the chain in the big ring small cog, I can only hit the top 5 gears when in the middle ring without chain rub on inside - been something I live with. Once I reach that gear combo it's usually time to go for the granny anyway. I have noticed that I'm not sitting on the outer limit screw when adjusted to the big ring - can push shifter to move beyond to get more chain clearance (more cable tension) and hit the limit screw, but when I release, it drops back to the chain tension limit.

Just keep playing with the tension until you get something you can live with - may have to loosen the cable attach bolt, screw in the barrel a couple of turns, and re-tighten - to allow more adjustment. Maybe someone else knows if this is due to derailleur being shot.

mtbr member
    Another thing to check is to make sure the 'cage' of the front derailleur is lined up with your chainline. You can sight down on the cage from the top, and if it appears cocked either too inward or outward, you can loosen the derailleur clamp to the seatpost and rotate the derailleur slightly to get the cage aimed correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No worries guys- thanks for the replies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OK- I'm about to go 1x9 I think.

I've replaced the cable, adjusted the derailluer 100 times if I've done it once, checked it is straight and the right height, tried loose, tight and everything in between and the problem persists.

Any other ideas- something this simple shouldn't be this hard!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Interestingly, I've found that using the selector the mech hardly moves, if I grab the cable and pluck it like a guitar string it it will move down to the lower gear. Does that give anyone an idea as to what it could be?

I know the obvious answer is to take it to a bike shop but I'm trying to learn myself and it should be a simple procedure... Should.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MILD
    Interestingly, I've found that using the selector the mech hardly moves, if I grab the cable and pluck it like a guitar string it it will move down to the lower gear. Does that give anyone an idea as to what it could be?

I know the obvious answer is to take it to a bike shop but I'm trying to learn myself and it should be a simple procedure... Should.

Learning for yourself is good, especially with MTB, as you can often be where there simply aint no bike shop.

I assume when you say you "pluck" the cable you mean that literally. Not pull, but simply pluck?

Things I would look at
    - you have the cable too tight. I know there is a danger here of causing chain rub again, but you may have to adjust (carefully) and retune.
    - Have you checked the actual shifter and derailleur mechanisms? On the shift to smaller cogs it's spring-driven, and you should not have to force it like that. You are simply releasing tension in the chain.
    - The other option is to make sure the cable is moving freely. Sticky cables can be a big cause of "unexplained" shift problems, especially to smaller cogs.
    - look for anything caught up in the derailleur mech. I had some trouble once and spent ages, until I found a tiny stone caught in there

Nick