mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Is my frame too wide for a GXP bb and MRP AMG?

In to process of putting an XX1 drivetrain onto an old Specialized SWorks enduro. The Shell is 73.2mm and the BB is for 68 with spacers and 73 without (Origin ceramic for SRAM). I'm old school, so these BB's are new to me lol. The MRP guide is a bb mount with a width of 1.5mm. Do I need to face off 1.5mm or will it be fine? I noticed there's two 2.5mm spacers with the Origin 8 along with a couple of .5mm steel washers. No idea what those are for (the .5mm, the 2.5 are obvious).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It gets worse lol! I checked the alignment of the guide and cranks and I need a 2.5mm spacer between the guide and bb cup. So between the guide's 1.5mm and the spacer's 2.5mm. I would need to shave off 4mm from the shell? Starting to wonder if the MRP guide is worth it...

mtbr member
    I'd say you need a different version of the MRP guide...give up on the BB mount and get the version that will mount in the same manner as the front derailleur would mount to the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Being a SWorks Enduro, it's a pretty weird mount. I looked on the MRP site and didn't find anything. May just have to leave it off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    I'd say you need a different version of the MRP guide...give up on the BB mount and get the version that will mount in the same manner as the front derailleur would mount to the frame.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Hi!

Do you have a threaded BB or a press-fit BB? Lots of Specialized bikes have press-fit style BBs. The BB mount AMg is for threaded BBs only.

The BB-mount AMg can accomodate a 50-51mm chainline on a threaded 73mm shell. XX1 uses a 49mm chainline. You can remove 1mm of material from the driveside of the shell to make it work, or you can remove 1mm of material from the non-driveside which will push your chainline out 1mm and that too will work.

Your other option is a guide like the 1x. We offer a variety of mounts in that model and it offers more chainline adjustability.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's a threaded BB. The 1.5mm of material on the guide would have been ok, but I need the 2.5 to center the chainring to the guide. I thought the AMG was designed for the XX1... I'll look at the 1X. Too bad I threw the AMG's box away lol!

Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Hi!

Do you have a threaded BB or a press-fit BB? Lots of Specialized bikes have press-fit style BBs. The BB mount AMg is for threaded BBs only.

The BB-mount AMg can accomodate a 50-51mm chainline on a threaded 73mm shell. XX1 uses a 49mm chainline. You can remove 1mm of material from the driveside of the shell to make it work, or you can remove 1mm of material from the non-driveside which will push your chainline out 1mm and that too will work.

Your other option is a guide like the 1x. We offer a variety of mounts in that model and it offers more chainline adjustability.

mtbr member

Re: Is my frame too wide for a GXP bb and MRP AMG?

What front derailleur does it call for? I'm guessing it's a low direct mount...sort of like an E-type but without the BB plate

I'll bet that either MRP or e.thirteen makes a guide that bolts right on.

What year is your Enduro?