mtbr member
    Oct 2004

are my cranks worthy of the trash or my frame?

i am currently at the end of upgrading an 04 kikapu deluxe

it came with some god awful cranks, Shimano FC-M445 Hollowtech Octalink
    thats not even deore, way to go kona

so i basically thought that cranks are cranks and ill just have some ugly, generic, heavy cranks, but i can live with that.

Then today a friend mentioned that my crap cranks will probably flex and suck all the energy out of me going uphill, i cant feel anything on them, but now i am worried.

So ive been looking at cranks and its going to cost a ton to get the new m580 lx's or last years xt, but i guess my question is...

Does it even matter? From someone that has just come off of an 8 year biking hiatus, I know nothing and just want to make a more informed decision.
    Thanks.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    My 2 Cents

I say keep 'em until the chainrings wear out and them upgrade.

I laugh at the comment that they will flex and rob you of power when climbing. At 180 I have square taper Ti BB's on half of my bikes and just about anyone will tell you that that is the flexiest type of BB out there. I never notice any flex even when climbing in a tall gear. Frame flex is probably 100 times greater than Crank/bb flex could ever be. Your bb spindle will flex fractions of a mm where your frame could move around 10-15mm side to side under hard effort.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

your answer lies within

i cant feel anything on them

Don't spend hard-earned money fixing problems that don't exist. The difference between the flexiest crank and the most rigid crank out there is so slight that only nitpicking bike testers would ever notice. Same is true of all the new splined bottom brackets. More rigid? Yes, any engineer will attest to the fact that a big fat tube is more rigid than a smaller diameter solid rod. Make a difference in the real world? Not to 99.99 percent of the riders out there. Maybe to a top track pro who can generate 2 horsepower in a sprint.
    BTW, all cranks nowadays are f'ugly. For cranks with a sense of aesthetics, you have to go back at least half a decade, before shitmano introduced those hidious 4-bolt cranks and the world felt compelled to copy them.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Amen!