mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are my cranks ruined/Need new cranks!

Have a set of Truvativ Stylo isis cranks and a Raceface BB (whatever the cheap one is). Noticed last weekend that the non-drive arm was loose and creaking during a ride, so I stopped and tightened it as much as I could, finished my ride, and then reinstalled it at home. Went for a ride yesterday, noticed no creaking... and didn't check the bolt. Then today, at the farthest-away part of the loop I was riding, that crankarm came completely off. Scoured the immediate area but no sign of the bolt, so I tripoded/coasted the remaining 5 or 6 miles back to my car.

Upon closer examination, both the crank and the BB look chewed up from being spun off like that. There were even bits of metal in the grease that was still on the crank.

So I'm assuming the cranks and BB are shot. Is there any chance they aren't? I know if it was a square taper I'd just toss the whole lot and start over, but does the same hold true for isis?

What can I do in the future to keep this from happening again? Was it the brand mixing? I had Truvatuv isis cranks/bb before, and they were fine until a wrenching mishap on my part ruined them.

Any opinions on the X-type?

TIA!

born again

Both Likely Toasted

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    Have a set of Truvativ Stylo isis cranks and a Raceface BB (whatever the cheap one is). Noticed last weekend that the non-drive arm was loose and creaking during a ride, so I stopped and tightened it as much as I could, finished my ride, and then reinstalled it at home. Went for a ride yesterday, noticed no creaking... and didn't check the bolt. Then today, at the farthest-away part of the loop I was riding, that crankarm came completely off. Scoured the immediate area but no sign of the bolt, so I tripoded/coasted the remaining 5 or 6 miles back to my car.

Upon closer examination, both the crank and the BB look chewed up from being spun off like that. There were even bits of metal in the grease that was still on the crank.

So I'm assuming the cranks and BB are shot. Is there any chance they aren't? I know if it was a square taper I'd just toss the whole lot and start over, but does the same hold true for isis?

What can I do in the future to keep this from happening again? Was it the brand mixing? I had Truvatuv isis cranks/bb before, and they were fine until a wrenching mishap on my part ruined them.

Any opinions on the X-type?

TIA!
    If the bolt came out and you spun the crankarm clean off it's likely they both are toast. You should be able to mix brands without any problem. My guess is they weren't properly torqued in the first place. Make sure the cranks are fully seated on the BB spindle. Next time use a torque wrench and check the bolts after the first ride, sometimes they will loosen up a little. After that you should be good to go.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That's possible...

although I did use a torque wrench, it's altogether possible it wasn't exactly right... I have the Park one with the bar/needle setup, not the easiest to use.

I should also mention that when I noticed the first looseness, it wasn't right after the cranks had been installed... it was a good 6 months later.