mtbr member

My chain won't stay on the second cog. Thoughts?

Since I replaced the cable and cleaned and lubed the housing for my rear XTR deraileur.... my chain won't stay on the second cog. It pedals without skipping or making any noise when on all the other cogs (for the most part). It will shift clear down onto the smallest cog (eventually) and back up again but when I shift (one indexed click) up onto the second cog from the third it goes around half a stroke then quietly rolls up onto the first cog where it pedals quietly and contentedly.

I can't see any bent teeth ...... so I'm suspecting an adjustment problem. But what?

Disclaimer: After reading a few other threads I suspect this may be a problem with some worn part/parts. The deraileur and XT shifters are almost 6 years old the cable housings are three and the LX cassette and chain are close to two.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-12-2007 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    its possibly the fact that the drivetrain is worn. As soon as you replace one part you will find it may get better, but its all likely to be shot. Try replacing the cables, inners and outers.
    If it still skips. Chain and cassette next.

Old shifter rarely result in ghost shifting, just poor shifting