-eddie.

My Bar New Grips Keep Slipping Help!!

hey there, i just bought some new bar grips, ourys. I got one on and the outside would just let me keep spinning it. I had put hairspray on it to get on there, and then to hold it tight. Nah i say, i would just turn all day.

I took it back off, so i could get some step by step instuctions on where i messed up or what other steps i should do.

Did you clean the bar well before installation? Did you use just enough hairspray to get them on? How long did you give them to dry?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

-eddie.
    i didnt clean them well but i will this time, i didnt put to much hairspray in them and i slung the excess out by spinning it in a cicular motion like a pitcher throws a baseball. Honestly i didn't give them to long, like any good american i wasn't satisfied unless it was instant results.

how long should i wait or how long should it take?

Calm Like a Bomb
    when i used to use regular grips i would install them at night and let them "adhere" overnight so they were ready to go the next day
    Carbon Wilson
    Carbon Troy

mtbr member
    Clean the bar thoroughly with alcohol and then let it dry. Make sure you don't have any residue of some kind on the inside of you grips. Then use an airgun or something simlilar to assist with installation.

I have never had very good luck using hair spray etc.

mtbr member
    Use spray adhesive( 3M or Loc-tite makes some too). I have ourys, and sprayed the bar lightly, and a little in the grip. Slides right on with plenty of time for adjustments. Let set up over night. Very solid.

With adhesives you may not be able to remove the grip without destroying it, so if you want to make changes to brakes/shifters etc that may not be the way to go.

Air compressor is definitely the cleanest way to go, but if you don't have one or access to one, it's a moot point.

i slung the excess out by spinning it sounds like you used way too much hairspray. Just a spritz so that the grip will slide onto the bar. Don't be twisting it or spinning it after you slide it on (position the logos as you slide them on) and let it dry overnight.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

-eddie.
    alright gents, tonight is the BIG night i give all of your advice a try. . . . . and my dog is licking something off of my army boots. . . . .gum. . . . . .dam.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I find that excess hairspray=more time to set. I always use hair spray to put on grip and if you drench it, it can take a few days before its properly set up.