mtbr member
    May 2006

My 2x9, front derrailuer suggestions...

I recently went from 3x9 to 2x9, I purchased the SLX 2x9 front derrailleur. Problem is it is rubbing no matter how I adjust it. I am thinking about just modifying it by prying just a hair wider.. ANy suggestions?

Also, is they are road front derrailleur that will work, I want to weightweenie it.

Bike is a 2009 hifi, currently using a clamp front. Bottom pull.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh also, I am using a m760 XT crank with a 22/36. both chainrings are shimano.

mtbr member
    I am using a Dura Ace road fd for mine I am using a SRAM 2x10 crankset What shifters are you using? You may also want to try setting it up using the 2-3 position on the shifter. I'd try a road fd and see. If you can try it without too much investment I think it'll work.

Something to think about is that the Shimano 2x10 fd moves less than a 3x10 fd will to make up for the closer spacing between the chainrings. SRAM has a different shifter for their fd to do the same thing.

Best of luck andre us know when you get it to work.

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oops, left out that part, using SRAM X-0 twist shifts. I'll try the 2-3 position, good idea.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    Oops, left out that part, using SRAM X-0 twist shifts. I'll try the 2-3 position, good idea.
    Don't the Gripshifters have micro clicks for trimming the front dérailleur?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've just put an X0 2x10 chainset on mine last night, set up on the workstand all worked well, not yet ridden on the trail. FD is an SLX direct mount, X0 twist shifter, and it doesn't rub unless you're on inner ring and smallest 2 sprockets, which is a combo I steer away from anyway. Have you tried winding some tension onto the shifter barrel to move the mech another fraction on the clicks? it might just be enough to avoid the rub.

Rich
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Apparently the 1-2 and 2-3 cable pull is different for the Shimano 9 speed. If you are running it in a 1-2 arrangement try tensioning it up to a 2-3 instead.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I must have ti installed wrong. In order to get it to not rub on the outer chain when in 36, it hits the 22 inner ring. That is the reason I was thinking of just spreading the cage just a hair wider.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I must have ti installed wrong. In order to get it to not rub on the outer chain when in 36, it hits the 22 inner ring. That is the reason I was thinking of just spreading the cage just a hair wider.
    Sounds like you have the FD mounted too low.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, that's what you get for following the sticker/guide.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I recently went from 3x9 to 2x9, I purchased the SLX 2x9 front derrailleur. Problem is it is rubbing no matter how I adjust it. I am thinking about just modifying it by prying just a hair wider.. ANy suggestions?

Also, is they are road front derrailleur that will work, I want to weightweenie it.

?SLX 2x front derailleur.....didn't know there was just a beast

Any derailleur 10sp, 9sp etc can be adjusted to work without rubbing. I have had a dura-ace FD with gripshift and that works just fine. The trim function on the gripshift needs to be used at the extremes of course, but certainly not all the time.

Hitting the 22??????? There's no way that should happen if you've got a 36 as the other ring. Could you post some pics as I'm a bit flummoxed as to the FD positioning. I have a feeling the FD you have is actually for 3 rings.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member

Hi Duke, I'm happily running 2x9 with that exact same derailleur.
    My M665 has been weight-weenied just a little, in this thread.

No problem with rubbing here; I simply adjusted the L and H limits so everything's tickety-boo. However, I did discover something funky going on with cable-actuation, that I attributed to my X.9 trigger shifter. Basically, actuating the X.9 shifter pulls-in more cable than the M665 lever needs to go thru its range. My (simple) solution involves just slackening-off the cable by 1-2mm, so it's slack in granny position, yet just perfect while on the big ring. Maybe my solution might help in your case.
    Hope this helps.
    Brisbane, AU