mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Multi-speed chain with 1x9

Ok, I'm calling B.S. on my lbs. I take the bike in because I can't get the shifting down and among the reasons the guy states for the troubles is that I'm using a multi-speed chain on my 1x9 setup. I have a multi-speed crank and a 9 speed cassette (I'm using just the middle ring). Why on earth would I need to use a single speed chain and how would that affect my shift? Am I wrong on this?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by psuambassador View Post
    Ok, I'm calling B.S. on my lbs. I take the bike in because I can't get the shifting down and among the reasons the guy states for the troubles is that I'm using a multi-speed chain on my 1x9 setup. I have a multi-speed crank and a 9 speed cassette (I'm using just the middle ring). Why on earth would I need to use a single speed chain and how would that affect my shift? Am I wrong on this?
    Total BS.

Any multi cog cassette and RD makes it a multi speed drivetrain.

A single speed chain will not even fit on a 9-sp cassette.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's what I thought. I'm taking the bike back tomorrow and just going to fix it up myself. That's why I decided to wrench myself instead of going to bike shops. Every time I go in there, I feel like they look down at me for the work I do on my own bike and then they try to make up reasons to drive up the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Yea, that makes no sense. I'll uphold your bs call.

I'm running a 1x10 system with a ten speed chain. It's kinda how the system has to work

Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    All that lbs tales aside, what's the problem with the shifting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just irregular. If I get it to come down all the way smoothly, it won't go up the cogs all the way smoothly. Typically it will take two clicks of the shifter to move up one gear then the rest will be smooth. I'm going to try replacing the cable and housing and all the other stuff, but what I really wanted from the LBS was just to check to make sure the frame is aligned, the hanger is not bent and that the bike is structurally capable of shifting smoothly. What I got instead was a bunch of bs about stuff I needed to buy and how they don't have the correct tools to accurately tell if the hanger is straight and the frame is aligned.

I didn't care for that lbs to begin with but took it there because it is closer and to give them another chance. I'll probably give it another go and if I can't get it, take it to my regular guy who will probably take longer with it b/c they are always busy, but at least they will resolve the issue without the attitude and up-selling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your problem sounds a lot to me like it's not setup properly. I suggest you start from scratch (instructions assume you have a top normal derailleur):

1. Shift into gear 9, loosen the bolt which holds the cable, make sure there is no slack anywhere and pull cable fairly tightly (but not too tight), making sure your derailleur is in its resting position. Then retighten the bolt.
    2. Shift into 8. If it doesn't shift, turn the adjustment barrel one step at a time to the left until it goes into 8.
    3. Shift into 7. If it doesn't go, turn barrel to left.
    4. Shift back to 8. If it doesn't go, turn barrel to the right.
    5. Repeat until shifting between 7 and 8 is fairly decent.
    6. Get on your bike and ride around. Shift at least once from 1 to 9 and back. Then start shifting through the gears. If you have issues shifting down, turn barrel left, if up, turn right.
    7. If you have a repair stand step 6 is optional (you can just do it on the stand). However, I've noticed that there are sometimes fine adjustments necessary after getting on the bike.

That's how I do it anyway...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. I tried that all. I took the bike to my preferred LBS and they quickly diagnosed the problem as a bad spring in the rear der. I told them to slap a new shadow rear der on and get it ready to ride. The difference between one LBS to another apparently is huge. Never again will I go to the first guy. They are, in my experience, Dbags who just drive up the price. I shouldn't have gone to them in the first place.