Thread: MTB 10 Speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

MTB 10 Speed

When? Is it here?

LA CHÈVRE
    SRAM's XX 2x10 group will be launched this summer, availability will probably be later though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse1
    When? Is it here?
    Yes, since day one: 2x5

10 speed cassettes on mtbs is stupid.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride a mix of road & mtb drivetrain components. I figure why limit myself...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I ride a mix of road & mtb drivetrain components. I figure why limit myself...
    I do too, but 10 speed cassettes create more limitations.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    good for dirt roadies maybe.. useless for actual mountain biking. i dont find my 10 speed cassette on my roadbike to be all that great either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm having a hard time finding specific 9 speed stuff which is kind of forcing me to consider 10 speed. 7 speed was fine for me and I hear you that the never ending progression seems to be serving the vendors.

What specific problems with the 10 speed stuff? Wear?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

What specific problems with the 10 speed stuff? Wear?
    Because in order to get another cog on there, they will either need to make it wider, or cram the cogs even closer together.

If they make the cassette wider, that means an even narrower hub flange spacing (less stiff wheel)

If they cram the cogs tighter together, than means either thinner side plates on the chain, or thinner cogs.

Maybe these things don't matter as much on a road bike, but it does for a mountain bike.

The other thing is that what I notice on my wife's 2x10 road bike is that the cassette is so wide that you can't really use all the gears in either ring. Well, you can, but the chainline is pretty whacked out, even more than on a 2x9. So, they are adding a cog in the rear, but you are not rally gaining any more range in either chainring.

Plus, you just don't need such tight gear ratio spacing on most mountain bikes. Give me a lx/x-7 or better 7 speeds with a nice thick chain and cogs and a wider hub flange spacing.

This might make sense for xc races on dirt roads, etc, and if it stays there, that's great. The problem is, it won't stay there. Just like pluming, the $h!t flows downhill, and sooner or later, anything above LX / X-7 will be 10 speed, because bigger numbers sell.

meow, meow.
    Well, I have not had any experience with 7 speed setups, but I certainly like 8 speed stuff much better than 9 speed. Kapusta is way too right here on bigger numbers selling...

10 speed equipment on mountain bikes would be a disaster. Unless they invent super strong chains and cassettes (which isn't going to happen soon I think).

If 10 speeds spreads, we all shall have to go singlespeeding. ) A tendency driven to its extremity turns into the opposite, after all..

Let's just hope that after the imminent and spectacular failure of 10 speeds we shall see 7 and 8 speed drivetrains reborn in SLX, XT, Saint and even XTR groups.
    26" faithful.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho
    Let's just hope that after the imminent and spectacular failure of 10 speeds we shall see 7 and 8 speed drivetrains reborn in SLX, XT, Saint and even XTR groups.
    Please, God!