Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    freak of nature

New question here. most wear-resistant material for small chainring ?

Hi !
    Just trying to find which material would be the most resistant against wear for a granny. Steel, stainless steel, titanium ??? Aluminum is out of the question anyway.

I'm building a bike for the long haul and will be using a 24t chainring with 74mm BCD (5-bolt).

Thanks !
    Any input is welcomed,

Jean-Sebastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    2000 Devinci Chili Pepper (frame only)
    1993 Proflex 853 (frame only)
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar
    1982 Peugeot Record Du Monde (fixed gear)
    1980 Raleigh Sprite (restoration)

mtbr member
    I use Cycle-Dynamics Ti for all my bikes.
    http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jean-seb
    Hi !
    Just trying to find which material would be the most resistant against wear for a granny. Steel, stainless steel, titanium ??? Aluminum is out of the question anyway.

I'm building a bike for the long haul and will be using a 24t chainring with 74mm BCD (5-bolt).

Thanks !
    Any input is welcomed,

Jean-Sebastien

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hard to beat a steel granny.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Yet another vote -- steel, with ti coming in second.

A wheelist
    Hi !
    Just trying to find which material would be the most resistant against wear for a granny. Steel, stainless steel, titanium ???
    I'm not sure of the wearing ability of steel versus Ti but for me it's Ti chainrings or nothing. I've had my Ti granny for years and it still looks like new.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mechmann_mtb
    steel will be most resistant to wear. Ti is going to be a bit lighter and a in between steel and Al for wear. Al is lightest and wears the fastest.

of the above, steel is the cheapest followed by Al then Ti.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ti can not get treated to be as hard as steel. So a high end steel alloy will still be harder, and more wear resistant. Ti is a pretty amazing material, but just because it's relatively light and strong doesn't mean it's the best material for every application.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    It also has a lot to do with how the rings are manufactured. A stamped ring will not last as long as something which is machined to close tolerances. Also, I've watched the Cycle-Dynamics crew, gear cutting their titanium 6Al/4V rings (technique used by transmission manufacturers) and the precision is amazing. I've used Blackspire stainless rings which were stamped and was very disappointed to see how the steel was worn (pushed) after just a few rides. I put a lot of torque on my granny being 230 lbs. and in my experience Ti beats steel in handling this. I should also mention that I'm somewhat fanatical with regard to drivetrain maintenance.
    Here's a link to Cycle-Dynamics Technical overview for those who are interested...
    http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/tech.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Ti can not get treated to be as hard as steel. So a high end steel alloy will still be harder, and more wear resistant. Ti is a pretty amazing material, but just because it's relatively light and strong doesn't mean it's the best material for every application.

freak of nature

suggestions ?

Thanks everyone !

I'm still not sure what material to use but, could you suggest me a couple of steel models and also ti models which would be good ?

Thanks again,

Jean-Sebastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar

mtbr member
    Cycle Dynamics Ti rings...
    http://www.coveproductions.com/cools...hainrings.html

Thanks everyone !

I'm still not sure what material to use but, could you suggest me a couple of steel models and also ti models which would be good ?

Thanks again,

Jean-Sebastien

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Check out Bikeman.com. They have a good selection. I've always preferred the Shimano steel granny. Very durable.

mtbr member
    Hi !

Thanks !
    Any input is welcomed,

Jean-Sebastien
    i think hardened steel, but nobody seems to bother with hardening...

these look cool:
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Pro...6-f675ec369cef

out of curiosity, why not just carry a spare if it's that critical...

mtbr member
    Aluminum grannies wear quickly hardened or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    i think hardened steel, but nobody seems to bother with hardening...

these look cool:
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Pro...6-f675ec369cef

out of curiosity, why not just carry a spare if it's that critical...

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It's not a question of whether its critical. Ride long enough on a worn out granny and you will quickly wear everything else to its level.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    It also has a lot to do with how the rings are manufactured. A stamped ring will not last as long as something which is machined to close tolerances. http://www.cycle-dynamics.com/tech.html
    Well that really depends on the material. A machined alu ring will last much less than a hardened steel ring even if its stamped steel. I don't know how hardened the steel used in stamped granny's is but the mere fact of it being stamped doesn't means its weaker. Steel is slow and expensive to machine. I would imagine it would wear down cutting tools very fast making it impractical to machine them.

mtbr member
    Wrong. I've put visable wear on aluminum rings in a few rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    It's not a question of whether its critical. Ride long enough on a worn out granny and you will quickly wear everything else to its level.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Not sure if this was supposed to be directed at me, but I'm all for steel, as stated above. Aluminum for a granny just isn't wise or good for the rest of your drivetrain once it starts to wear. In his reference to "critical", not sure why anyone would carry an extra granny gear while out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Not sure if this was supposed to be directed at me, but I'm all for steel, as stated above. Aluminum for a granny just isn't wise or good for the rest of your drivetrain once it starts to wear. In his reference to "critical", not sure why anyone would carry an extra granny gear while out for a ride.
    since you're not the original poster, you have no idea whether or not it is a critical thing. what if he's touring third world countries? going on a bike expedition where replacement parts will be unavailable?

if it such a critical thing, then carrying a spare makes sense. the question of machined titanium vs stamped steel is compelling, but some prep work on steel part would then conceivably improve the steel part beyond that of the ti. not to mention, the potentially prohibitive cost of buying a machined ti part and a spare.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I believe the "original" poster was looking for some advice as to which granny is going to last longer. And since you're not the original poster, piss off.

mtbr member
    I believe the "original" poster was looking for some advice as to which granny is going to last longer. And since you're not the original poster, piss off.
    "And since you're not the original poster, piss off."

that's odd... why would i piss off? the guy is asking a question and i'm asking him for clarification. are you suggesting that only the op should respond to his own question? perhaps you should piss off as well then? that would make discussion forums utterly useless... that's nonsensical, that can't be what you mean. so i guess you're indignant that someone in the world had a point that you could not fathom. and being incapable of conceding a point, particularly when you've already expressed a condescending attitude, i guess your only defense is to tell people to "piss off". you're too stupid to think past your nose and you're too stupid to accept when you're wrong. it must suck to be you.

so here's your brilliantly obvious observations:

see, the reason for asking whether or not it was critical is to determine what the actual need is: is it a situation where replacement parts are not accessible? or a situation of reducing required maintenance? in the one hand, a durable part is necessary along with possibly a spare on hand. in the second case, having a durable part but neglecting the rest of the drivetrain is simply laziness with the result being worn out drivetrain parts anyway. what good is an indestructible granny when your cassette and chain are worn out?

i've already explained my reasoning for asking the question, this is a recap and elaboration for your benefit. maybe you'll understand this time around? i hope so. perhaps your life wont suck as much if you would take the effort to not be so determinedly stupid.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Stupid? You were the one advising an Aluminum granny gear. Not good for any of the reasons you seem to have read in between the lines for. Don't bother with another idiotic response. You proved your point already.

mtbr member
    FYI Cycle-Dynamics granny rings list for $20.98...Same price as a lot of the Steel or Stainless Steel grannies out there.
    Stupid? You were the one advising an Aluminum granny gear. Not good for any of the reasons you seem to have read in between the lines for. Don't bother with another idiotic response. You proved your point already.

freak of nature

Hey,

Originally Posted by drunkle
    determine what the actual need is: is it a situation where replacement parts are not accessible?
    Originally Posted by drunkle
    what if he's touring third world countries? going on a bike expedition where replacement parts will be unavailable?
    sorry if I kept silence for too long but as drunkle was asking me; yes I'm looking for a granny that will last long, because there is a possibility that there will be no parts available. And you know, just for the little peace of mind. So, I guess I will go with steel for all the votes it got. And also for the experience I had with it too.

the leisurelakesbikes.com link was actually for a hardened 7075 aluminum ring, but thanks anyway

Thanks everyone,

Jean-Sebastien
    2004 Giant XTC Custom
    2001 Giant Boulder HD
    1988 Kuwahara ProStar

mtbr member
    titanium is not a durable material either unless it is specifically alloyed and treated. that aluminum ring is a hardened ring using a ceramic and teflon coating, an interesting development in the production of wear resistant aluminum parts, development that does not seem to be occuring with steel. it was not an endorsement of the product, i had already stated my opinion within that same post that hardened steel would be the chainring of choice. the sub context is the fact that is was impossible to find information on hardened steel chainrings.

again, you are stupid for not seeing the point.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Stupid for not seeing your mis informed point? Nice link to the Aluminum chainring. Have another drink Drunkel. You are surely a tool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast