Self Inflicted
    Apr 2010

Most durable 9 speed drivetrain

Here is my situation. I bought a new bike about two years ago. I have been riding it a lot and have been wearing out components quickly. I hadn't even got through my first season with it before the chain started jumping the teeth on the crank because chain elongation had worn the teeth down. My second drivetrain has lasted longer as I have tried to take better care of it. It still is working but is worn out and will need to be replaced soon.

So here is my question: is there any particular combination of parts that are more durable? any specific group sets that seem to last long?

The other thing is that I have been using mid level components. Would higher end stuff last longer than mid level components or is the life expectancy the same across the board? I would upgrade to nicer stuff if it lasts longer but don't want to if it is going to wear out just as fast as it is more costly.

I have been using a 3*9 set up and would like to stick with that due to budget constraints. Any advise anyone could give is appreciated.
    Last edited by sagealmighty; 07-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tell us exactly what you are running. If you want durability XT or X7 is what I would run.

Rub it............
    "Higher end" components only cost more to replace. They don't last any longer if maintenance is neglected.

You need to monitor your chain wear more closely.

You can use a 12 inch ruler to measure chain wear.

If 24 links measure 12 to 12 1/16", chain is fine.

If 24 links measure 12 1/16 to 12 1/8" chain needs to be replaced with great possibility that nothing else is needed.

If 24 links measure over 12 1/8", there is a great chance that skipping will occur and you probably will need to replace at least a cassette, but probably even a chainring or 2.

Self Inflicted
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill View Post
    Tell us exactly what you are running. If you want durability XT or X7 is what I would run.
    Deore cassette, pc 951 chain, not sure about chainrings. My bike uses the shimano crank that is only available as an OEM part. It was the 9 speed equivalent of an alivio when alivio was 8 speed. The middle ring was replaced with an lx or something similar when the first drivetrain was replaced.

"Higher end" components only cost more to replace. They don't last any longer if maintenance is neglected.
    Like I said, I tried to take good care of it. The thing is that there would be some weeks where I would ride 4 days a week or more. From what I have heard from bike shop mechs it is difficult to prevent wear with that frequent of use. Thus the reason why I am seeking out more durable parts.

I was going to replace the chain before the rings and cassette wore out but I was a little late. the cassette was showing signs of nicking before the chain was worn out anyway.

Class Clown
    just stick to the cheaper stuff and it won't be that expensive to replace.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I monitor chain wear as described in post #3, and get a lot of service out of my cassette and rings.

I leave a tape measure clipped to the rack where I keep my bike. It makes it very easy to keep an eye on chain stretch - no extra trip, so I actually do it regularly.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try the Cn-7701 chain lasts very well...

Also the high end components will last longer than the low end components...if you maintain them...

That means keeping them clean etc....in the end the I run XTR with an XT BB I ride all year long through a cold salty winter..... the 2007 XTR RD and FD are still goinng fine....been through a number of BB bearings...

The CN-77001 chain last about 9 months or so.