mtbr member

Most Commonly Ignored Tip?

I just read three threads in which the OP was having shifting problems. The first two replies advised the OP to check the derailleur hanger. Both posts were ignored, but ideas in the posts that followed were tried. The OP finally posted pictures, and his hanger is bent. He's still ignoring the first two replies...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just because the preacher preaches, doesn't mean people listen.

Tool
    A misaligned hanger, whether due to a bent hanger, the way it mounts up, or the dropout itself, can cause most, if not all the problems for which checking the hanger alignment is recommended, but most who are posting with rear shifting problems do not have the means on hand to check derailleur alignment, so I can see why they might want to rule other things out first.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    I only have a derailleur alignment tool in my kit because I've been riding since steel frames and non replaceable hangers were the norm. I don't imagine many riders who have been in the sport for a decade or less even know what the tool looks like or how to use it.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    I've also noticed that although some people seem to be asking advice, it soons becomes clear they've already made up their minds and are just looking for affirmation of their chosen path.

This is especially true in the 'does this just need adjusting or should I buy a new one' threads - all they're really looking for is permission to buy something new ...

Take a look at this example 9 or 10 speed? Does anyone else get the impression that the guy is just looking for justification to buy a Saint RD, no matter how much he's told there's nothing wrong with his current drive train and it just needs tweaking a bit?

Don't mean to pick on the guy, I'm sure we've all been guilty of doing something similar at some time or other - I know I have

mtbr member
    I think it's also one of the most commonly overprescribed tips. I'm not saying that it's usually bad advice but it seems all someone has to do is start a sentence with "My shifting...." and the first three answers will be "you got yourself a bent hanger!"

My experiences with fixing shifting woes have taught me that although a bent hanger may often be part of the problem, it is much more common for cables or worn parts are the culprit.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cc_math View Post
    I just read three threads in which the OP was having shifting problems. The first two replies advised the OP to check the derailleur hanger. Both posts were ignored, but ideas in the posts that followed were tried. The OP finally posted pictures, and his hanger is bent. He's still ignoring the first two replies...
    The most ignored tip is "Do not act like an idiot!"

Followed by anything you do not agree with.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

addicted to chunk
    New cables & housings on a regular basis.
    Riding.....