No longer 26

Modifying (cutting) a Deore Front Der cage question

I am running a 2x9 on a 29er using the granny (22 or 24) and big middle ring (36 or 38). I'd like to lower the Deore front der but the cage does not allow it due to hitting on the chainstay if it goes lower. Could I cut the bottom part of the cage off so I can lower the der to be more in line with big ring? My concern is that the cage is riveted together and cutting it would separate them. Would this cause a problem or would it work OK for a 2x9 application.

Thanks
    Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I am running a 2x9 on a 29er using the granny (22 or 24) and big middle ring (36 or 38). I'd like to lower the Deore front der but the cage does not allow it due to hitting on the chainstay if it goes lower. Could I cut the bottom part of the cage off so I can lower the der to be more in line with big ring? My concern is that the cage is riveted together and cutting it would separate them. Would this cause a problem or would it work OK for a 2x9 application.
    My guess is that the rear cross piece connecting the left and right sides of the cage is critical to prevent the sides from unduly flexing when making a shift. I doubt that the derailleur would work well for very long if you were to alter the derailleur so that the left and right sides are detached from each other at the rear. I'm only guessing though... If you end up trying it anyway, let us know how it goes!

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    My guess is that the rear cross piece connecting the left and right sides of the cage is critical to prevent the sides from unduly flexing when making a shift. I doubt that the derailleur would work well for very long if you were to alter the derailleur so that the left and right sides are detached from each other at the rear. I'm only guessing though... If you end up trying it anyway, let us know how it goes!
    You are probably right. I did not get a chance to look at it closely yet but I thought that maybe I could cut it off and then drill holes through it and bolt it together with a small bolt and a sleeve between the 2 sides. Will let you know if I try it.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I thought that maybe I could cut it off and then drill holes through it and bolt it together with a small bolt and a sleeve between the 2 sides.
    That might work.