mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mixing Sram XX with Shimano

I have a 2009 Scott Scale 30 that is mostly stock. It currently has an SLX drivetrain (3 x 9) with an XT RD. I'm interested in going to 2 x 9 to get rid of the granny ring, which I have never used in nearly a year of riding this bike. I thought one way to do it might be to get the new Sram XX crank and FD. Does anyone know whether that would work with the existing Shimano chain and RD? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for going to a 2 x 9 setup (perhaps more cheaply!)?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snappye
    I have a 2009 Scott Scale 30 that is mostly stock. It currently has an SLX drivetrain (3 x 9) with an XT RD. I'm interested in going to 2 x 9 to get rid of the granny ring, which I have never used in nearly a year of riding this bike. I thought one way to do it might be to get the new Sram XX crank and FD. Does anyone know whether that would work with the existing Shimano chain and RD? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for going to a 2 x 9 setup (perhaps more cheaply!)?
    Take off the granny, adjust the FD low limit and it is a 2x9. Can not get cheaper than that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Take off the granny, adjust the FD low limit and it is a 2x9. Can not get cheaper than that.
    But then you don't get the advantage of the better chainline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drea
    But then you don't get the advantage of the better chainline.
    Yep, that's what I was trying to get (among other things).

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snappye
    Yep, that's what I was trying to get (among other things).
    LOTS of other ways to do it and not spend $500. Get an ISIS or square taper crank and BB of appropriate dimensions and you could spend as little as $100.

If you are lucky you could even just move some spacers around on your stock crankset to move the chainline in, but external bearing BB are wider than they should be in the first place.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0