mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mix sram and shimano?

Can you mix a xtr rear derailleur with a truvativ noir 3.3 crankset? and if you can wich chain should you use?

MTBR Demi-God
    Yes you can. You cannot mate a SRAM shifter with a Shimano derailleur, and vice versa.

You can use any chain depending on the drivetrain speed configuration- 8 speed or 9 speed.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    You cannot mate a SRAM shifter with a Shimano derailleur, and vice versa.
    Not entirely true. You can mix a SRAM shifter and a Shimano front derailleur.

Didn't SRAM once offer a 2:1 shifter to work with Shimano rear derailleurs. Maybe I just dreamed it.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg

Didn't SRAM once offer a 2:1 shifter to work with Shimano rear derailleurs. Maybe I just dreamed it.
    They still do. Attack and Rocket are 2:1 shifters.

bi-winning
    the above replies are all correct.

The configuration you describe will work just fine. As long as everything you mention is the same "speed" - i.e 9, it will work just fine. As for chains, i really like the powerlink that comes with sram chains, but i currently am using a shimano chain, and the shifting is pretty much the same.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

MTBR Demi-God
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg

Sorry for being vague. SRAM does indeed offer 2:1 ratio shifter, but I assumed that most of the people choose to use X7/9/O shifters, so just wanted to throw it out there.

I dont know many people (if any) who use Attack shifters- if they want to use SRAM shifters, they tend to go with a SRAM derailleur as well.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    I use a SRAM 2:1 trigger with the Saint derailleur on my DH bike...

Feels/works great.
    :: wrenchscience ::

You know my steez...
    I have X9 shifters with an XT front derailleur.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....