pedal pusher

Missing Link #&@!!! GRRR!!!

I got a KMC X9SL chain with the missing link. I thought it'd be simple to put together (it is) and take apart, but that's not the case. This little f'er takes forever to disconnect, so any advice about how to get them back apart would be appreciated.

For the record, I am able to finally get it apart, but both times I've tried, it's been at least a half-hour ordeal. Someone help before I take my sledge hammer to it.

mtbr member
    Although you can remove them, the KMC missing-link is not intended to be removable or re-usable. However, SRAM's power-link is meant to be reusable, and does only take a few seconds to remove.

pedal pusher
    It says right on the package that it's re-usable. It says to always use a new missing link when putting on a new chain, but it doesn't say not to re-use the link on the same chain it's already being used on. The directions also show that it's intended to be removable.

bi-winning
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

pedal pusher
    Dude, if you weren't a dude, I'd kiss you. That tool rocks!

mtbr member
    From KMC (2006)

MissingLink II is designed to be a permanent link of the chain once it is installed. To remove the link, you will have to use the chain tool to push out the pins, just like you remove the other chain links.

After the pins are pushed out, the strength of mushroom riveting is reduced. Therefore, it is not recommended to reuse the link. You may replace it with a new MissingLink II. I hope this answers your question.

Please feel free to contact us, should you have further question.

Best regards,
    Customer Service Department
    Continental Chain Company, Inc.

You can also use a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the link together, but the park tool shown above works better.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service

"MissingLink Re-Usable"

They've even spelled it out, can you imagine.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try the connex no problems