mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Middleburn 1x9, Air Nine, Paul Comp Chain Keeper

Just switched from a 3x9 (FSA K-Force) to a 1x9 set-up (Middleburn). Before addition of Paul Components Chain Keeper, chain would come off 2 to 3 times per hour ride. Chain keeper has solved issue. Using 32T w/ 11-34 cassette, ratios works great for me w/ 29" wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pughww
    Just switched from a 3x9 (FSA K-Force) to a 1x9 set-up (Middleburn). Before addition of Paul Components Chain Keeper, chain would come off 2 to 3 times per hour ride. Chain keeper has solved issue. Using 32T w/ 11-34 cassette, ratios works great for me w/ 29" wheels.
    In the picture it looks like it is pushing down on the chain. It that just the camera angle?

How much $ for the guide?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The chain keeper is not pushing the chain down, but the picture does look like it is, must be the camera angle. When the chain is on the large rear chain ring the chain keeper follows the chain very close so it looks like the keeper is tipped up when the chain is on the smaller chain rings. The cost of the chain keeper was $50.00.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Shouldn't the chain keeper be mounted in front of the seat tube?
    The position of the chain keeper doesn't change as the OD of the clamp remains the same regardless of seattube diameter.
    If you look at the example on Pauls website:
    http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Middleburn 1x9, Air Nine, Paul Comp Chain Keeper

You are very observant, you are correct. For whatever reason (32T smaller ring dia., or seat tube/down tube geometry) I was unable to get the chain keeper low enough when it was mounted in front of the seat tube. This reverse set-up works well but there is very little clearance margin as the chain leaves the keeper due to the swing angle from low to high rear cassette position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm waiting for an Air 9 and wanted to use a 1 X 9 gearing...also 32 t in front.
    Guess I' m going to fabricate something myself.