mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Middle chain ring worn - keep riding?

Hey there,

My middle chain ring is too worn to put a new chain on (skips off it under load)...rear cassette may or may not be toast...

Is there any way to easily tell if the rear cassette is done?

I am usually told to replace the cassette when I do a worn chainring - but the cassette doesn't look in bad shape...

If I have to replace a middle chain ring and a cassette my feeling is to just keep riding with the worn chain and wear everything right the hell out...any reason not too???

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    My middle chain ring is too worn to put a new chain on (skips off it under load)...rear cassette may or may not be toast...

Is there any way to easily tell if the rear cassette is done?
    My guess is that if your middle ring is worn enough to skip under load with a new chain, then the cassette is probably worn too.

I am usually told to replace the cassette when I do a worn chainring - but the cassette doesn't look in bad shape...

If I have to replace a middle chain ring and a cassette my feeling is to just keep riding with the worn chain and wear everything right the hell out...any reason not too??
    I think you have the right idea. Just be sure to replace the chain, cassette, and chain rings together when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Since no harm will come to the chain from being run on an old cassette, there's no reason to replace the cassette unless it also has skipping problems with the new chain.

Chains and cassettes have a one way wear relationship in that chain wear is indepencent of the condition of the cassette, while cassette wear is entirely dependent on the condition of the chain. In other words chains wear out cogs, but cogs do not wear out chains.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Run it until it dies. Once it's too late to replace a chain, I like to see how much I can wear the rings. They get like chinese throwing stars . . . good for self defense.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Nothing runs like a completely NEW drivetrain. It's worth the money if you are serious about riding. Had my first ride on a new setup last night. I got some blackspire rings for my XT cranks 36/26 and new XT 11-34 cassette with a new 9 speed chain. SMOOTH as butter. and worth every penny!
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org