mtbr member

New question here. Mavic Crossland - loose cassette?

I have a set of 2004 Mavic CrossLAND wheels. I've noticed that the splines on the hub are narrower than the mating grooves on an XT or XTR cassette. What results is a small amount of rotational play as the cassette is pulled by the chain it actually rotates a small amount before the ribs/splines on the hub are engaged by the grooves in the cassette. That doesn't seem to make any sense, and now that I'm having other drivetrain issues, I'm wondering if that is a contributing factor. Also, a normal XT HG 9spd cassette is very difficult to snug down on the freehub, seems like it needs a substantial spacer.

According to the Mavic website, the CrossLAND has one of two FTS-L hubs (6 bolt or centerlock) and should be essentially the same format/design as the one on the CrossMAX. However, my local shop called Mavic today about the play and was told the hub on the '04 was spec'd to be compatible w/ Campy and Ultegra - which makes absolutely no sense since nobody should be running these wheels on a road bike. He said there was supposed to be a special spacer on the hub and they're shipping one to my shop.

Has anyone heard anything similar? Has Mavic had a recall on these by any chance??? What kind of fool would put a roadie hub on a mtn wheel? Their website offers zero help.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSEAL
    I have a set of 2004 Mavic CrossLAND wheels. I've noticed that the splines on the hub are narrower than the mating grooves on an XT or XTR cassette. What results is a small amount of rotational play as the cassette is pulled by the chain it actually rotates a small amount before the ribs/splines on the hub are engaged by the grooves in the cassette. That doesn't seem to make any sense, and now that I'm having other drivetrain issues, I'm wondering if that is a contributing factor. Also, a normal XT HG 9spd cassette is very difficult to snug down on the freehub, seems like it needs a substantial spacer.

According to the Mavic website, the CrossLAND has one of two FTS-L hubs (6 bolt or centerlock) and should be essentially the same format/design as the one on the CrossMAX. However, my local shop called Mavic today about the play and was told the hub on the '04 was spec'd to be compatible w/ Campy and Ultegra - which makes absolutely no sense since nobody should be running these wheels on a road bike. He said there was supposed to be a special spacer on the hub and they're shipping one to my shop.

Has anyone heard anything similar? Has Mavic had a recall on these by any chance??? What kind of fool would put a roadie hub on a mtn wheel? Their website offers zero help.

Thanks.
    Just put on a set of 2005 Mavic Crosslands and noticed that my chain seemed to be binding a bit more than normal when I'm on the big front chain ring and a few of the smaller rear gears. I saw the silver spacer on the back side of the cassette and thought that was my problem. I removed the spacer but then the cassette would not tighten so I put everything back together.

I'm going to have one of the LBS check it out and see if there is a problem. I have a Specialized Epic and when the original wheels were on the bike shifted great and the chain didn't seem to bind like it does with the Mavic Crossland wheels.

mtbr member
    The wheel comes with a steel spacer. It was taped to my wheel and sometime between the time I bought it and installed the cassette it fell off. I found a plastic spacer from an old sram cassette and put that in and it solved the problem until it cracked. I found the old one in my yard where it had dropped and put it back in. I have three rear wheels and this is the only one that uses a spacer. The old Crossroc which was replaced by the Crossland didnt use one either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Interesting ...

I've noticed a clanking/rattle on my 2005 F4000, which came with Mavic Disc Crossmax wheels. After a few frustrating rides I realized the freehub body and cassette interface are not very tight. I compared it to a few other wheelsets that I have, and the tolerances on the new Crossmax's are much larger or greater, no matter how hard I cranked down on the lock ring the cassette still rattles. I gues I'll have my LBS swap out the freehub with a genuine shimano XTR freehub, which I'm assuming will fit. Any other ideas ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am experiencing the problem as VTSEAL. 2004 Crossland wheelset with a 2005 SRAM pg990 cassette. any solutions yet??

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSEAL

Thanks.
    Hmmm, exact same problem. We removed the freehub and there was a rubber seal of some sorts behind the spacer that had gone south. We put in a slightly larger spacer wich seemed to help a little but not completely.
    Did you ever get resolution ?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Goathead Gladiator

Mr

Hi, I have just bought used 2003 Crossmax set.
    How do you remove the fts-l freehub to oil it?

Mavic's website currently has instructions saying insert 10MM hex in the non-drive side, and 5mm in the drive side. Well, these 2003 xmax a 10MM will not fit in the non-drive side, and nore will a 5mm.

Before I start trying to jam a 4mm in there, anybody have a suggestion for this?

Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Hmmm, exact same problem. We removed the freehub and there was a rubber seal of some sorts behind the spacer that had gone south. We put in a slightly larger spacer wich seemed to help a little but not completely.
    Did you ever get resolution ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Mavics site is indeed less than helpful and not doing their products the justice they deserve.

Fear not on your issue.

I noticed a wiggle in my cassette on my Cross Max SL Disc.

When I looked into it,,, I found 2 things,,,, your issue above and a previous mistake coming back on me!

According to my LBS and a few other threads, the cassette grooves that allign with the hub are designed with a small amount of tolerance. Get a spacer on their and you will be good to go. Mine came with a rubber o-ring that did the trick.

My other problem is a lesson to be learned,,,,,

The inside of the Mavic Cross Max SLR Disc freewheel has a ceramic like /unknown material.

I had recently cleaned the hub and when I put it back to together, I used a lub other than the "mineral oil" type Mavic recommends.

The lub I used was thicker and tacky and caused actual wear on this inner material ending with the result of a loose hub body! We are talking about wear that is soooooo small you cant even measure but,,,, its there.

My suggestion,,,,, these wheels are high dollar,,,, don't risk them to save a few pennys.

Only use correct parts and lub spec by the mfg and have your LBS order the correct parts directly from Mavic.

Just take a week off until they arrive. (maybe 2 weeks)