mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mallet M's... do they work?

I'm looking into getting these pedals... I like the fact that you can have the option of both being clipped in or out. My question is, does it work? If you are wearing a shoe with a hard sole (like my sidi's) and unclip for technical/jumping/whatever reason will your foot stay planted on the platform or slide off? Anyone have any experience with these things???

Thanks in advance!!

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaze7777
    I'm looking into getting these pedals... I like the fact that you can have the option of both being clipped in or out. My question is, does it work? If you are wearing a shoe with a hard sole (like my sidi's) and unclip for technical/jumping/whatever reason will your foot stay planted on the platform or slide off? Anyone have any experience with these things???

Thanks in advance!!
    I have them and got rid of them. The eggbeater in the middle is designed to clip in easy. The problem is your foot will roll on the beater when unclipped. You will have accidental clip ins too if you are trying to use the platforms. You will get different opinions I am sure. If you plan on doing some crazy stuff, be prepared to unclip when you have to, chances are you will clip in unintentionally. I am not bashing the pedals, they are nice, just not as a platform.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    No, not really. Any clipless pedal with a platform is a terrible pedal to use as a "flat pedal". The mechanism always sticks up and makes your foot ride on the mechanism, not the platform. The mechanism on the mallets doesn't "tuck away" like the shimano ones do either, and even still, the shimanos aren't great in this respect either. There's also not enough grip, no screws or real teeth to grip.

Also, you'll have major interaction problems if you are trying to ride unclipped with cleats on the bottom of your shoes.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member

I use them

Quote Originally Posted by jblaze7777

Thanks in advance!!
    I have the mallets on a hardtail that I use with Sidi dom's and with Oakleys and with running shoes. I do not have any issues - but i have one shim under the cleat. I have candies on my XC bike and eggs on my road bike. I like crank bros pedals.

The mallets allow me to clip in and crank when i really want to and to dab and get going easy w/o having to worry about a lot of slippin around on the pedal. There is a lot (lot is a relative term here) of rotation possible before you clip out. I am used to that and it helps my knees. They work for me.

YMMV. Rick