mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Mallet 1 problems

I just purchased some mallet 1's, and I just took them out today. Grease is spewing out the side of the right pedal and they are squeaking like I am using a mouse for a fender. Do they need to breaking or are they just defective or what? I might return them and get another pair if they are defective.

Thanks for the help

willtsmith_nwi
    If you were talking about any other component company, they would be defective. With Crank Brothers, that's par for the course. Feel lucky this particular defect crept it's head up before the spindle broke on a downhill sending you careening into a tree. My advise, send them back to whomever you ordered them from. Buy something from Time or Shimano. Stay well clear of Crank Brothers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Damn, thats ashame. I really liked the concept of both, but if that is really the start of them failing, I will be returning them tomorrow.

I looked at the shimano DX clipless, I might go with those, or the wellgo mg-1.

Oh, i forgot to add- I have a pair of eggbeaters too- I looked at them today and noticed I cracked one of the wings and only used them for a few rides. I already emailed them about that.

willtsmith_nwi
    The concave design of the cage is unique and superior in my opinion. However, there is something wrong with the guts on CB pedals that make them prone to breaking. Manufacturing, design ??? who cares. They break way too easy.

I'd had it with the original Mallet pedals. Then they came out with the redesign. I figured that they had to have addressed the durability of the pedals. Not a chance. There is something wrong with a company that has a demonstrable quality issue and doesn't bother to address it when they release a redesign. Hell, the first set of Mallet 1s I received didn't even have the right size allen socket.

Speaking of which, Crank Brothers quality issues pop up over and over around here. They release multi-tools with incorrect allen sizing. Skewers that they advertise as stronger and easier to clamp, but in fact are just the opposite.

So before anybody sinks any money into outfitting your one or more bikes with Crank Brothers products, they should carefully consider this wreck of quality control. And you should consider what it will take to replace your pedals across 2-4 bikes when you finally come to the realization that Egg Beaters are a cool concept with a poor implementation.
    Last edited by willtsmith_nwi; 04-20-2010 at 06:43 AM.