mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Make my Giant Rincon shift better

I want to upgrade my derailers. Which derailers can I put on my Giant Rincon without having to change anything else (i.e. shifters and gears). Here is the link to my stock bike... http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11040 . By the way I am 6'6" and 285 lbs. If that makes a difference to what I should get. Thanks for the help.

ballbuster

What's wrong now?

Quote Originally Posted by infinityarms
    I want to upgrade my derailers. Which derailers can I put on my Giant Rincon without having to change anything else (i.e. shifters and gears). Here is the link to my stock bike... http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11040 . By the way I am 6'6" and 285 lbs. If that makes a difference to what I should get. Thanks for the help.
    When you say your bike is not shifting well, specifically what is wrong? Does it hunt before going to the next gear? Does it chain suck?

It is equipped with Acera derailleurs. While certainly not bling parts, as long as everything is straight and adjusted, it should be fine. I rock Acera derailleurs and shifters on my 5 year old Giant Yukon I use for commuting, and the shifting is as crispy as can be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    When you say your bike is not shifting well, specifically what is wrong? Does it hunt before going to the next gear? Does it chain suck?

It is equipped with Acera derailleurs. While certainly not bling parts, as long as everything is straight and adjusted, it should be fine. I rock Acera derailleurs and shifters on my 5 year old Giant Yukon I use for commuting, and the shifting is as crispy as can be.
    It won't hold an adjustment, on either end. It also feels like it jams into gears on the rear derailer. The front derailer must have a six mile notification system built into it. Because it won't go into my smallest chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It won't hold an adjustment, on either end. It also feels like it jams into gears on the rear derailer. The front derailer must have a six mile notification system built into it. Because it won't go into my smallest chainring.
    It has front derailleur Shimano Acera and Rear derailleur Shimano Alivio.

Do these derailers need to be tuned more frequently that the higher line? If so, what level do I need to go to in order to avoid contant tuning?

ballbuster

No, not really

Do these derailers need to be tuned more frequently that the higher line? If so, what level do I need to go to in order to avoid contant tuning?
    They should not need more tweaking than higher end stuff. The higher end stuff is a bit crispier to shift and weighs less... that's about it. As long as you are not buying department store crappy bikes, the derailleurs should be decent.

It sounds like they are just out of adjustment, or you have a bent rear derailleur hangar. Check the pivots for slop. If the pivots are excessively sloppy, the replace the derailleurs.

Keep in mind that all derailleurs slam when shifting if you don't let up on the pedals. Also, the front will not go to granny if you are pedaling hard. The tension on the chain will be too much for the spring to overcome. This is true of all derailleurs.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Listen to Pimpbot. He is correct. The parts you have should shift fine.

I just replaced my Acera rear derailleur last year on a 1996 model bike, the front is still on it. Probably didn't need it, but did it just to update everything. Replaced it with another Acera. If things are bent, that is a different story, but Acera stuff will shift fine when adjusted properly and I have a hard time believing you could actually wear it out that fast.

You should also inspect your shift cables for problems. How you carry or store the bike could also be a problem if the cables are pulled or stretched while transporting or while stored or somehow binding.

Put the bike on second gear and get down low behind the rear wheel and see if the top gear pully on the rear derailleur is DIRECTLY in line with the second largest gear on the cassette. If it is not, the best thing to do would be for you to download the directions for adjustment from Shimano and follow them closely.

If you are just wanting to upgrade for the heck of it, look on e-bay for some older XT 8 speed shifters. They work very nicely and you might find a good deal on them. Problem with upgrading shifters on a bike like yours is that most have the brake levers integrated into the shifters and that means you'll have to get new brake levers too. If you do upgrade, look for separates so this won't happen again.

willtsmith_nwi

If you're having "adjustment" problems ...

I recommend that you replace your shifters/derailleur with SRAM. X.7 can be had for $70 for shifters and derailleur.

SRAM stuff needs less "tinkering" to stay in tune. It's also more immune from cable gunk.

Live 2 Ride
    Stick with Shimano. Unlike SRAM the Shimano stuff dosen't break as often. By the way there is nothing wrong with running low end parts. Sometimes they out-perform the high end offerings.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/