person

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Major Indexing Issues: Help Needed

I just bought a set of LX Shifters M570. I have an XT Rapid Rise Rear Derailleur M760 Long Cage. I tighten the cable so it has enough tension to shift from 1st to 2nd. On this setting I have no problems until I get to 5th. At 5th gear there is too much tension and it jumps back from 6th to 5th so I let some of the tension out. I continue to have the same problem and keep letting out tension until I get to 9th. Unfortunatly by the time I get to this point there isn't enough Tension on the cable and when I put it back into 1st there isn't enoguh tension to shift back into 2nd with on click or even 2 for that matter. . I've cleaned my chain, cassette, cables/housing. My only options are:
    1.going back to my old Deore shifters which didn't shift much better but didn't have nearly the indexing problems
    2. get new cables that are not teflon coated
    3. get a non rapid rise XT rear...(M750)
    Unless someone can help me, any help is appreciated.
    -Thanks Dave
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Is your B tension set properly? I set mine by placing the bike upside down and pedlaing backwards in the smallest chainring and largest cog. Adjust tension up until the der pulley doesn't hit the large cog when pedaling backwards. That can help a ton!

Good Luck,

G MAN

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    I just bought a set of LX Shifters M570. I have an XT Rapid Rise Rear Derailleur M760 Long Cage. I tighten the cable so it has enough tension to shift from 1st to 2nd. On this setting I have no problems until I get to 5th. At 5th gear there is too much tension and it jumps back from 6th to 5th so I let some of the tension out. I continue to have the same problem and keep letting out tension until I get to 9th. Unfortunatly by the time I get to this point there isn't enough Tension on the cable and when I put it back into 1st there isn't enoguh tension to shift back into 2nd with on click or even 2 for that matter. . I've cleaned my chain, cassette, cables/housing. My only options are:
    1.going back to my old Deore shifters which didn't shift much better but didn't have nearly the indexing problems
    2. get new cables that are not teflon coated
    3. get a non rapid rise XT rear...(M750)
    Unless someone can help me, any help is appreciated.
    -Thanks Dave
    1st thing I'd look at is the alignment of the derailleur hanger.
    2nd is the derailleur itself. Make sure it's not bent. My guess is that it's the hanger though.

Duc

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by G-VegasMTBiker
    I just bought a set of LX Shifters M570. I have an XT Rapid Rise Rear Derailleur M760 Long Cage. I tighten the cable so it has enough tension to shift from 1st to 2nd. On this setting I have no problems until I get to 5th. At 5th gear there is too much tension and it jumps back from 6th to 5th so I let some of the tension out. I continue to have the same problem and keep letting out tension until I get to 9th. Unfortunatly by the time I get to this point there isn't enough Tension on the cable and when I put it back into 1st there isn't enoguh tension to shift back into 2nd with on click or even 2 for that matter. . I've cleaned my chain, cassette, cables/housing.
    As duc135 suggested, check the derailleur hanger adjustment.

You stated that you're using a clean cable and housing, but you did not say if it's new housing. If not, consider replacing it. I've had my share of problems with shifting and, for me, it's usually the case that the housing is gummed up. I've tried cleaning the cable and lubing the housing, but that almost never helps. The only remedy that really works is to replace the gummed up housing segments.

On the other hand, if you are using new housing make sure that it's the compressionless variety. I inadvertently put the wrong type of housing on my bike one time, and had some really bad problems with shifting afterwards.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html for more info.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by duc135
    1st thing I'd look at is the alignment of the derailleur hanger.
    2nd is the derailleur itself. Make sure it's not bent. My guess is that it's the hanger though.

Duc
    I third that.

You can't tell if it's bent visually, you have to get (or have the shop do it) the park tool that checks alignment, It does it far more accurately than you can with your eyes. The same tool can "bend" the hanger back if it's not replacable, buf if it is you should order a new one from the bike manufacturer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

person
    Alrighty, thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Also, take care with how you cut new housings. If you are not careful you can crush the ends and cause cable drag. I use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to make clean cuts. DON'T use wire cutters!!! A sharp hacksaw may work too.

Gerb

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbermultit00l
    DON'T use wire cutters!!! Gerb
    and don't use dog toe nail clippers either. tried it. worked- but not very well.