Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Major 2007 XTR Problems!

I have worked in a bike store for the past 12 years and am a die-hard Shimano fan and have always ridden XTR. I prefer the durability and utter dependability of Shimano over SRAM any day of the week.

I received my full 2007 XTR Norco around Christmas time and was very excited about the new group, as XTR never fails to disappoint. Everything looked sweet about the new designs and the initial feel was perfect.

That was until the first ride, when the freehub body started popping under load. Almost the whole staff of the shop I work at (6 of us) got the new bikes with the new XTR and were all experiencing the popping - definitely not confidence inspiring. One of the mechanics had his freehub seize up which promptly sheared his rear derailleur off, bent his front derailleur and badly scarred his cranks. Shimano sent out a box of replacement freehub bodies which seemed to have fixed the issue.

A few of us have been experiencing missed shifts in the thumb paddle of th rapidfire shifters. Sometimes I will go to shift a few gears up (easier gear) and the shifter will miss completely and nothing will happen.

Another problem three of us have had is that the cranks rotate a tiny bit on the spline of the crank. These cranks were installed properly at the Norco factory and then checked for proper installation at the shop. This problem is certainly not due to improper installation. The cranks do not rotate very far, just a small clunk back and forth when a different pedal load is applied. However small, this problem feels like it will get worse, not a cool thing with such expensive cranks.

Then yesterday, my freehub body starts seizing up 20km from home, and I was forced to pedal continuously to prevent my derailleur from ripping off.

I have been a mechanic for over a decade and am well aware of proper installation and maintenance procedures. I am wondering if there was a crappy first batch of the new XTR made, or if Shimano just rushed the group out to try to compete with the new flashy SRAM parts.

Anyone have similar issues?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I don't have the new xtr (I am an XT guy ).but those are the first "major complaints" I have heard.. I am curious if more people have had those problems

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was planning on getting the 07 XTR shifters, r. derailluer and cranks. That is scary
    I am not opposed to SRAM but have not had too much experience with it. I will probably get the X.9 shifters and R. derailluer and stick with my LX cranks cause the weight savings on the cranks is not that great.
    What should I do?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have the 07 shifters, brakes & derailliers, no issues in 5 months

mtbr member
    I have 07 XT rapidfires and CRank and 07 RDR and have not had one single issue. Shimano RDR are notorious for needing adjustments after a few miles, but that's not biggie. Your complaints are the first I've heard. Most people rave about the cranks.

I wanted the XTR shifters for the adjustability but I didn't want that new double shifting feature. I heard too many people would accidentally shift more gears than they wanted.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    I wanted the XTR shifters for the adjustability but I didn't want that new double shifting feature. I heard too many people would accidentally shift more gears than they wanted.
    I guess you mean the "multi release", because the 07 XT rapidfires do have the dual release (also drop gears with the thumb)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by peteypete
    Almost the whole staff of the shop I work at (6 of us) got the new bikes with the new XTR and were all experiencing the popping - definitely not confidence inspiring.
    Other than your mechanic friends and you experiencing the abovementioned problems, have you (or your mechanic friends) came across customers who have similar '07 XTR problems?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wensiaw@pacific.net.sg
    Other than your mechanic friends and you experiencing the abovementioned problems, have you (or your mechanic friends) came across customers who have similar '07 XTR problems?

Yeah, one customer with the crank issue. I am thinking we might have received some of the first OEM XTR and it had some bugs. The freehub body is the biggest issue, as that is 2 toasted in a few months. I have heard of a few with the shifter missing occasionally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Another problem three of us have had is that the cranks rotate a tiny bit on the spline of the crank. These cranks were installed properly at the Norco factory and then checked for proper installation at the shop. This problem is certainly not due to improper installation. The cranks do not rotate very far, just a small clunk back and forth when a different pedal load is applied. However small, this problem feels like it will get worse, not a cool thing with such expensive cranks.
    Assuming I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like what you're describing is some slop between the left (only) crank arm and spindle spline interface, since the spindle and right crank arm are one integrated unit. If so, (although you clearly state that the problem is not due to improper installation) the obvious question is whether the nut that holds the left crank arm to the spindle was torqued to Shimano's current spec during initial installation. I recently installed a set of XTR 970 cranks on my bike and was very surprised to see how far the left crank arm moves onto the spindle when torqued to spec - between tightening it firmly with a plain socket wrench and torque'ing to spec, the arm appeared to move close to 1/4" further onto the spindle!

If it was indeed torqued correctly, it seems the only explanation would be related to improper machining of either the left crank arm or spindle spline (or both) interfacing surfaces. If that's the case, I sure hope Shimano got this resolved early on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have the 2007 XTR shifters, and RD 2006 XTR FD.

Only missed shifts at less than -15 C when the grease inside the shifters gets to stiff.

I squirted a little WD 40 inside and blew with air. No other problems.

I have the XTR 970 cassette, and Blackspire chainrings.

Shifting is great and the drive is very efficient even when fully cross chained.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have worked in a bike store for the past 12 years and am a die-hard Shimano fan and have always ridden XTR. I prefer the durability and utter dependability of Shimano over SRAM any day of the week.

I received my full 2007 XTR Norco around Christmas time and was very excited about the new group, as XTR never fails to disappoint. Everything looked sweet about the new designs and the initial feel was perfect.

That was until the first ride, when the freehub body started popping under load. Almost the whole staff of the shop I work at (6 of us) got the new bikes with the new XTR and were all experiencing the popping - definitely not confidence inspiring. One of the mechanics had his freehub seize up which promptly sheared his rear derailleur off, bent his front derailleur and badly scarred his cranks. Shimano sent out a box of replacement freehub bodies which seemed to have fixed the issue.

A few of us have been experiencing missed shifts in the thumb paddle of th rapidfire shifters. Sometimes I will go to shift a few gears up (easier gear) and the shifter will miss completely and nothing will happen.

Then yesterday, my freehub body starts seizing up 20km from home, and I was forced to pedal continuously to prevent my derailleur from ripping off.

I have been a mechanic for over a decade and am well aware of proper installation and maintenance procedures. I am wondering if there was a crappy first batch of the new XTR made, or if Shimano just rushed the group out to try to compete with the new flashy SRAM parts.

I have 07 XTR shifters, rd and fd. Nothing but flawless shifting for the past 9 months.

The seized freehub sounds a little like a sci-fi story to me though.

MBAficionado
    May 2007
    My shifters work fine. Love them.

As for the hubs, the first rear hub we laced suffered a seizure of the freehub without me putting it thru it's pace. No issue with the replacement hub for 4 months..

thecentralscrutinizer
    2007 XTR cranks, rapidfire shifters, and rear derailleur with about 400 miles on them. Not a problem at all. Perhaps there were some manufacturing flaws, but that would be unusual for Shimano.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Quack Attack
    I've got '07 XTR front and rear derailleur, cranks & rapid fire shifters. Ridden about 300 miles with the set with absolutely no problems. Flawless performance in a variety of conditions. No complaints here.

mojo mofo

Good job!

I had various generations of XT on my bikes over the last dozen years or so, for my current ride I went with 07 XTR cranks, brakes and shifters. Only problem is with some occasional brake honking, but that's not all that odd for disks I've heard. Shifters and cranks are perfect as I expected.

I'm running King hubs, my last set (non disk) didn't even have dirt in them after 10 years of riding so I don't think these will be seizing up anytime soon. I deleted the XTR wheels from the bike build and the money saved was identical to the money spent on a King/V355/Wheelsmith wheelset built up by Dave at SpeedDream. Even when shipped to Canada, hard to beat.

mtbr member
    I'm using 07 XTR shifters, derailleurs and cranks. No problems at all over the last few months.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re XTR issues

Last edited by peteypete; 07-07-2007 at 11:37 AM.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Uhh get that **** warrantied!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out these photos of my 2007 Ibex Atlas Pro with 2007 XTR. I'm out almost 200 bucks replacing derailleur hanger, new 2006 XTR rear derailleur (got a better deal than 2007, and LBS said more rugged), and new chain. IBEX seemed to think that I had done something to bend the derailleur causing it to bind. I had taken a spill 10 miles earlier, but it was shifting OK before this happened when I started out from a stop.

This thread is making me wonder now if this should have been a warranty fix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The fact that the rear deraileur is quite clearly hooked around one of the spokes leads me to believe that your warranty claim will be denied.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The fact that the rear deraileur is quite clearly hooked around one of the spokes
    indicates that the damage occurred as a result of __________________________________________

Please fill in the blank. Perhaps I am being a little slow, but I am missing your point.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    .........as a result of your crash bending either the deraileur or more likely the hanger, allowing it to hit the spokes and get carried around the wheel.

I can see from the cable position that you were either in the largest or at a real stretch the second largest sprocket where the derailleur gets real close to the spokes. Classic case of bent hanger, seen it hundreds (?) of times.

You are being slow, it really isn't rocket science.

Rip
    Broken
    Been running the 07 xtr rear deraillieur on my dmr for a few weeks and have no issues, but then I do carry an XT in my camel back for a back up. Having no real issues with the durabilty at all.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MalemuteKid
    Check out these photos of my 2007 Ibex Atlas Pro with 2007 XTR. I'm out almost 200 bucks replacing derailleur hanger, new 2006 XTR rear derailleur (got a better deal than 2007, and LBS said more rugged), and new chain. IBEX seemed to think that I had done something to bend the derailleur causing it to bind. I had taken a spill 10 miles earlier, but it was shifting OK before this happened when I started out from a stop.

This thread is making me wonder now if this should have been a warranty fix.

Just because you were shifting "ok" after the spill doesnt mean that everything is fine. Shimano RD's will still shift "ok" even if the RD isnt prefectly aligned with the sprockets cos the guiding pulley is floating.

I think Furner's assessment is pretty accurate.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    Just installed all new XTR M970 FD, RD, and shifter pods and its awesome!!!!
    The shifting performance is utterly amazing...compared to my previous Deore components...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast