Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

M970 granny ring - only two bolts OK?

693 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  crazy8 
#1 ·
Was working on the bike today and realized that 2 of the bolts on my granny ring were missing. Upon further inspection, I found that the thread is stripped on the crank arm for one of the bolts.

Is it okay to run only 2 of the 4 bolts on the granny ring? Would that too much stress on the ring and bend it?

If it's not okay to run only 2 bolts, is my only option to replace the drive side crank arm?

Thanks!

#2 ·
JHANguyen said:
Was working on the bike today and realized that 2 of the bolts on my granny ring were missing. Upon further inspection, I found that the thread is stripped on the crank arm for one of the bolts.

Is it okay to run only 2 of the 4 bolts on the granny ring? Would that too much stress on the ring and bend it?

If it's not okay to run only 2 bolts, is my only option to replace the drive side crank arm?

Thanks!
No, the ring will fold. Your LBS should be able to heilicoil (thread repair kit) the crank. If not, replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.