mtbr member
    Jun 2007

M970 Crank Installation Problem

Hey,
    I decided to uprgrade my 960 XTR with the new 970 stuff this year and I've got most of it on now but the crank is giving me a hard time. I cannot get the left arm to go flush with the bottom bracket. There's a 1/4" gap there and I cant tighten that nut anymore. The kit came with these tiny plastic spacers but??? that's so dumb!! If I put the spacers in, my left pedal distance to the seat tube is more then the right pedal. When I compare the 960 I just took off to the new stuff, all lenghts and sizes are identical. Anybody know what I'm messing up here?

ups and downs
    Is your BB shell 68mm or 73mm wide? Do you have any of the 2.5mm spacers installed now?

If you have a 68mm shell you need 2 on the drive side and one on the non-drive side. That would be a 5mm difference between the 68mm and 73mm shell, or just about 1/4". What spacers did you have on your 960 bearing cups?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, If I'm measuring properly, it looks like a 68mm. I measured from the inside of both bottom bracket ends under the bike. It's a Trek Fuel 100. I have no spacers installed at the moment. The 960 crank had no spacers and both arms were flush. This is what really confuses me. So it sounds like I need some spacers then? and all 3 of them to boot?

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by togathrust
    Well, If I'm measuring properly, it looks like a 68mm. I measured from the inside of both bottom bracket ends under the bike. It's a Trek Fuel 100. I have no spacers installed at the moment. The 960 crank had no spacers and both arms were flush. This is what really confuses me. So it sounds like I need some spacers then? and all 3 of them to boot?
    Yeah, 2 on drive and one on non drive. They go between the BB shell and the BB bearings. Not to sound like a jerk, because that's not my intent, but you should read the instructions just to make sure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Success!! I knew I was missing something simple. Trying to do too much at the same time was my problem yesterday. I added the spacers to the INSIDE of the BB THANK YOU!! Your not a jerk for mentioning the instructions!! I totally missed that. Thanks so much.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by togathrust
    Success!! I knew I was missing something simple. Trying to do too much at the same time was my problem yesterday. I added the spacers to the INSIDE of the BB THANK YOU!! Your not a jerk for mentioning the instructions!! I totally missed that. Thanks so much.
    Glad I could help!