mtbr member
    Nov 2006

New question here. m770 shifter problems?

I read on the mbtr rviews that the xt m770 shifter levers were positioned too close together, The reviewer stated that his thumb would strike the release lever when making multiple shifts.This happened on both left and right sides. I'm thinking on getting a set of xt m770 shifters. I have all xt components on my bike now. My shifters are 7 years old (m760's) and getting sloppy. Is anyone else having the same problem with the m770's?

I remember that thread, that was the only time I saw comments along those lines. Haven't had any problems using mine...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I saw the same, and after getting some time on mine, have had no issues of this sort, and actually really like the way the levers are positioned. I really like the 770 shifters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks, I was considering the slx m760's after reading the review, But I would prefer the m770's.

...idios...
    The clearance is pretty close - a couple of mil. - but not, in my opinion, close enough to be a problem. Although one might get a loose fitting glove (somehow?) snagged, there's no way that the two paddles are going to snag each other without some pretty considerable man-handling. Here they are cable-tied at their closest point...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    SteveUk , thanks for the pic. I'm sold, I've always liked my xt group.

the catalan connection

I think I did that post

Not really a problem of the levers being to close to each other though. Is more that the whole shifter sits lower than it should.I just couldn´t avoid to touch the upper lever when pushing the lower with my thumb. Specially with full gloves and on the left shifter which has to be pushed beyond the upper lever no matter how. On the right though, I rarelly do more than one push (rapid rise RD) at once. Google-ing a bit I found that the XT shifters are positioned 5mm lower than the XTR (the whole unit, not one lever from the other). Thats becouse the XT brake lever is bulkier. So, even though XT and XTR levers are pretty much the same (the spacing between the levers is the same), on the XT´s your thumb is facing the levers already in a higher position than on the XTR´s.Bad.I had success bending the upper lever a bit and problem solved.
    Cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Great info!

Great info What&son, Did you bend the upper lever on both L and R? I expect my new xt shifters to arrive soon. Will try them "as is" first. . How did you bend them?. I use full fingered gloves with the thumb and first finger cut off so the spacing may not affect me as much. Really glad you explained you previous post in more detail. Thanks..

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderoo222
    Great info What&son, Did you bend the upper lever on both L and R? I expect my new xt shifters to arrive soon. Will try them "as is" first. . How did you bend them?. I use full fingered gloves with the thumb and first finger cut off so the spacing may not affect me as much. Really glad you explained you previous post in more detail. Thanks..
    I just bent the left one.On the right one you probably don´t need to push that far the lever unless you go for the third click, so no interference problem for me.
    I bent it with a large plyers and holding the inside part of the lever with a wrench to protect the bushings from the force.There is a steel core in the lever over which the plastic is injected so just make sure not to force any area outside the steel core or the plastic may break. This modification is not really something I would recomend unless you get really mad (As I did) with the as you call it "as it is" setup.99.9% are happy with these shifters. Also, depending on wich grips you have, the bent lever may rub against it when pulled. Mines are foam, so no problem to trim a bit off. Again,may not be your case.

However, this thread below shows a much easier modification for the 770 shiftres that´s worth give a try.
    Actually made me forget other issues and start liking the shiftres again:

How to convert new 770 XT shifters into “multi release”…easily! Who needs XTR??

cheers!
    Last edited by What&son; 02-23-2010 at 04:28 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot