mtbr member
    Mar 2006

m760 cranks and m771 chainrings compatible?

I want to either increase my inner chainring or decrease my middle. Looking on the web, it seems like I can use m771 chainrings (26t inner to be exact), but wanted to know if anyone knew for sure.

the catalan connection
    The 770 steel-carbon ring has much more material sorrounding the bolt holes than the all aluminium 760. That interferes with the crank tabs if you try to fit it on the 760s. Also, the offset between the ring outer faces and the tooth centerline is also different btwn rings. You can just fit spacers to clear the tabs, but that moves the ring too much inwards. Thre is not much material to be removed from these "tabs"anyway. I did it on mine, fit 0.8mm spacers to re-center the ring, an run the steel carbon ring without problems for a long time. Now Im on diff cranks though.
    Cant tell for the small.
    Cheers
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

the catalan connection
    Ups! Ignore my post then...Ive just noticed looking at the PDF above that you are talking about the "trekking" XTs. Rings are different material and size. The middle is not carbon-steel as the 770 xts I was telling you about. If they are alum. as they seem to be you might be lucky...shimano says they are not compatible though.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The m770 carbon-steel 32t is indeed not compatible with the m760 crankset.

However, the m770 "trekking" 36t is perfectly compatible (I'm running that exact combo). It's all alu and looks like the m760 middle ring.