mtbr member
    Jan 2010

M647's - Can I take the cages off and run them?

Shimano PD-M647
    Can I take the cages off and run them?
    I have 2 pair and would like to drop some grams on my XC bike and run them without the cage rather than buy cageless pedals

T.W.O.
    Then why not get a 540 or 520 it's lighter and suit your need better. If you don't want 647 sell it and buy the right pedal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Then why not get a 540 or 520 it's lighter and suit your need better. If you don't want 647 sell it and buy the right pedal.
    I'm sorry, what part off "I have two pairs" and "I would rather not buy new cageless pedals" did you not under stand?
    Obviously it would be easier just to buy new pedals but "easier" is not what I want to do.

I asked a simple question - Can I take the cages off?
    Do you have the answer? - No?
    Then don't write an answer like I am some moron without the brains to think "Gee, maybe I should just buy new pedals"

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163 View Post
    I'm sorry, what part off "I have two pairs" and "I would rather not buy new cageless pedals" did you not under stand?
    Obviously it would be easier just to buy new pedals but "easier" is not what I want to do.

I asked a simple question - Can I take the cages off?
    Do you have the answer? - No?
    Then don't write an answer like I am some moron without the brains to think "Gee, maybe I should just buy new pedals"

I don't know what part of my answer would make you think that way. I merely suggested the alternative. 647 is at least twice the street price of 520, cutting the cage out is just a bad idea to begin with if you don't want the pedal in its current stage/weight/appearance why not trade it or sell it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who's willing to trade that.

If your post is about not having it easy then it's another story. I'm sure you can cut the cage as it look like the spindle is about the same and you just have to figure out what to cap the end of the pedal.

Ok check out the weight difference I'll take a pic later of both pedals next to each other so you can see what you have to work with.
    M520

XTR

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I don't know what part of my answer would make you think that way. I merely suggested the alternative. 647 is at least twice the street price of 520, cutting the cage out is just a bad idea to begin with if you don't want the pedal in its current stage/weight/appearance why not trade it or sell it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who's willing to trade that.

If your post is about not having it easy then it's another story. I'm sure you can cut the cage as it look like the spindle is about the same and you just have to figure out what to cap the end of the pedal.

Ok check out the weight difference I'll take a pic later of both pedals next to each other so you can see what you have to work with.
    M520
    I apologise for the harshness of my reply - you have gone to a lot of trouble with the photos which I appreciate.
    The point I was making is that I have 2 pairs of 647's which at first glance look just like cageless pedals with a cage [what ever the model].
    I like to tinker, rather than cut/saw/butcher the cage off which would be the dodgy way, I was asking if the pedal could be disassembled and simply removed with no modifications.
    I have rebuilt/lubed one set several time so I am familiar with the procedure.
    Last edited by jeffgre_6163; 07-29-2011 at 04:36 AM.

T.W.O.
    It's cool Jeff, Ok I just checked my 647 it's not that hard to take it out there's a 4mm hex I think to take out the spindle. I didn't want to take mine apart just yet. The only problem I can see is what are you going to cap the end of the pedal with, last thing you want is to get dirt in to the seal system. If you have rebuilt one set already what's at the end? do you have pic? It would be good for me too.

Everything else looks like it's a walk in the park. Here's the comparison length wise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I checked the Shimano Tech docs archive found here:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608618.pdf

It looks like the the Allen headed cap screw in the end may simply screw back in place once the spring fittings are removed.
    I will give it a go a post up in 24 hrs or so

T.W.O.
    It'll look a bit naked but let one rip mate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Yes you can take the cages off

For those that think I butchered a perfectly fine pair of DX M647's I would like to make it clear that I have 3 pairs of these, not two as originally mentioned so I could certainly afford to lose one of the rougher pairs if this failed to work.

Stats:
    578 grammes - 1 pair of standard DX M647's
    413 grammes - Less cages
    165 grammes - saving

M770 Xt pedals
    352 grammes
    $74.75 from CR

For the difference of 61 grammes and saving $74.00 I am happy

Method
    Unscrew the and remove axle/spindle
    Undo and remove allen screw from the outside end of the pedal.
    Remove cage, spacers, spring etc
    Carefully file off the two locating lugs for the cage and file down the threaded extrusion where the allen bolt fixed the cage - you dont really have to do this if you want to refit the cages at a later date - I didn't
    Find a allen head screw that fits the hole and loctite in place [M8 fine].
    Note that the allen screw does nothing now except block the axle hole - important if you want to keep grease in and water out.
    Throughly clean off filing swarf, fill the axle hole wth fresh grease and reassemble.
    Done job

View of end of pedal immediatley after cage removed

All the bits

Ready to file and clean off the lugs

Lugs off with allen cap screw installed

Finished side view

Installed ready to rock and roll

Note that the center mechanism is identical to a std cageless pedal.
    There are differences to the axle/spindle and screw fitting but other wise I would think these will work just like any other SPD cageless pedal
    Last edited by jeffgre_6163; 07-29-2011 at 04:42 AM.

T.W.O.
    Hey that looks like a reg spd pedal, not bad at all, thanks for the pic I'll bookmark it for my 647 rebuild.

T.W.O.
    Thanks for the rep and comments unfortunately I don't know who so can't return favor and comments but thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    @mimi1885 - a question for you.

In which direction did you unscrew the outside bolt (with a "shimano" sign on it) and how hard did it go?

I ask because I have just damage the allen-hole in this bolt... I tried to undo it counterclockwise (like the majority of screws) but it didn't even move.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooce View Post
    @mimi1885 - a question for you.

In which direction did you unscrew the outside bolt (with a "shimano" sign on it) and how hard did it go?

I ask because I have just damage the allen-hole in this bolt... I tried to undo it counterclockwise (like the majority of screws) but it didn't even move.
    Counter-clock to take off and clock-wise to install.

Easy way to remember is go toward the back wheel to take off, and front to install. I'd only hand tightened when I install and don't forget to lightly grease the thread, there's no need to torque it hard as you can see it makes for a very difficult take off. Be sure to put the chain in the most outer ring in case you slip right when the bolt break free you won't get cut on your knuckles.