Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

M572 Crank and Octalink BB's

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chanorama 
#1 · (Edited)
I received Hollowtech LX M572 crank arms in a deal for free, but that's all I got.

No ring, no BB, no information. The only way I even knew they were 572's is because I saw the number stamp.

I've figured out I need a 68x121 E-Type BB, which I assume is the ES51,ES71, or ES30.

Do these cranks require any special chainrings or can I swap on the ones I have from other 104mm/64 cranks?

#2 ·
Any 104/64 rings will fit -- in fact, for the previous generation, Shimano was supposedly using a common middle ring on the LX and XT.

It appears you're got the correct spindle length for a 47.5mm chainline (you're on your own on the shell width). The 'E-type' ES-series bottom brackets will all end in 'E' (BB-ES51E).

You're not going to find a ES70 or 71 in the required 121mm spindle length. However, you can go with a standard (non E-type) 118mm ES71, and the plate of the E-type bottom bracket or chainguide you're using will bump the spindle out to where the 121mm E-type would put it. This will have opposite effect on the non-drive crank arm, however -- it'll bring it inboard ~6mm from where the 121mm spindle would place it. Check that you have the necessary shell and chainstay clearance if you decide to experiment with this.

#3 ·
Ah, ok. I ordered a ES51 in 68x121E with the intention of using it as a backup on my Cannondale Prophet if I so choose.

Now lets say I want to use the BB on non E-Type frame.Will I just have to use a little spacer to get the correct chainline? Or will the non-drive-side crank arm just be moved outwards?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.