mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Are the LX and XT stronger? need to upgrade

Hi, this is my first full season of mountain biking and I get out about 3-4 days a week. I really like my bike 07 Hi-Fi, but I got the base model and think a crankset upgrade might be in order. I have hit the large ring on rocks and logs while climbing technical areas before and, it seems to bend very easy. I don't need top of line as even though I will ride pretty much any trail. I prefer durable to light to an extent. I am also having to adjust my rear derailleur on a regular basis, as it will slip in high gear. It is deore. So does upgrading improve these issues and is the XT or LX the way to go. I have shimano deore shifters, so I think I would have to stay with that brand. Any insight would be great...thanks, Ben

it's....
    No, they just get lighter as you go up in price, and the rings are weaker AL vs steel on cheap cranks.
    Just replace the damaged big ring with a bash ring and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Jenson has the LX's on sale for $99. So depending on the condition of your crank and the cost for new rings, you may want to consider the LX.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    Hi, this is my first full season of mountain biking and I get out about 3-4 days a week. I really like my bike 07 Hi-Fi, but I got the base model and think a crankset upgrade might be in order. I have hit the large ring on rocks and logs while climbing technical areas before and, it seems to bend very easy. I don't need top of line as even though I will ride pretty much any trail. I prefer durable to light to an extent. I am also having to adjust my rear derailleur on a regular basis, as it will slip in high gear. It is deore. So does upgrading improve these issues and is the XT or LX the way to go. I have shimano deore shifters, so I think I would have to stay with that brand. Any insight would be great...thanks, Ben
    What kind of slipping do you have in the high gears? Do you mean slipping from one gear to the next, or the the slips forward on the cassette?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The first thing you should upgrade on 99% of the bikes out there is the wheelset and tires. There should be no need to upgrade the crankset because you're hitting the rings on rocks and they're bending. Like Strafer said just get a bashring, unless of course you're trying not to hit the rocks then you just need more riding experience.

Regarding the chain skipping approximately how many miles have you got the bike? Are you cleaning and lubing the chain often? I do mine at least once a week because of dust that collects on it. Are you adjusting the drive system or is it being done by a lbs?
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, I would guess I have around 800-1000 miles on the bike. I do lube the chain each week. It gets adjust at the LBS about every month and half or so. Between then I will do it myself if it is slipping. It does get stuck on the rings when it slips I will be in a high gear and it will just start to slip, but mostly when I am not climbing. I can live with it, but if upgrading will eliminate most of it, I would consider it. thanks, for the help...Ben

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    First I would consider a new derailleur hanger. Are you cleaning the chain before you lube it?
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    1000 miles on a mtb... 99% chance that it is time to change the chain.
    Have you measured the chain yet ?
    I believe park tools website has a lot of info on measuring chains for wear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BenR
    Thanks, I would guess I have around 800-1000 miles on the bike. I do lube the chain each week. It gets adjust at the LBS about every month and half or so. Between then I will do it myself if it is slipping. It does get stuck on the rings when it slips I will be in a high gear and it will just start to slip, but mostly when I am not climbing. I can live with it, but if upgrading will eliminate most of it, I would consider it. thanks, for the help...Ben

Well, someone has already said it will not help. If the new setup gets put of whack you will have the same troubles. Shifting _might_ be a bit easier from new, but there is no "magic bullet".

What do you mean by "slipping"? As someone else asked, is the chain dropping to another cog, or actually slipping? Or what?

Nick