mtbr member
    Mar 2007

LX vs XT Shifter Throw/Stroke

I have 9spd LX shifters on my Stumpjumper FSR, and I was wondering if the throw/stroke or whatever it's called.. the distance my thumb has to move to shift.. is the same on the XT (or XTR) shifters as it is with the LX. It just seems like I have to press the lever really far if I'm shifting multiple gears at once. I've tried a few different mounting positions to maybe gain more leverage, but it doesn't help much. It's not that I can't shift three gears at once. It just seems like it is more of a stretch than the cheaper shifters on my Rockhopper. If they're all the same, I can deal with it. I'm just wondering if the higher end stuff is any different. Thanks

mtbr member
    xt and lx would be the same i guess,you just get cartridge bearings for smoothness.

i have a saint shifter and it shifts a lot closer than the xt did,if it say took 15 degrees on the xt the saint does it in 7,it took a while to get used to as i kept changing up 2 gears on the saint shifter.

i would say maybe xtr and saint are roughly the same,but i wonder if the new xt is shorter throw change wise.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    My 2007 XT shifters seem identical to the 2002 models as far as throw. The only difference is that they have the dual release. The 07 XT shifters do not have the XTR multiple release feature.
    It's a 6" 29er, 69 HTA, 29" standover, setup for 31.6 Joplin, 83mm BB, blah blah blah. A bike for being stupid. --Walt Wehner