Freshly Fujified

LX vs XT derailleurs

For sake of clarification, I've already tried a search, but it tells me no matches found, so I have to believe that yet again, the search engine is down.

I'm doing a budget build for a hardtail bike and I'm trying to get a difinitive answer regarding the true difference in performance between the more current LX and XT offerings. My sense of things is that the LX should perform well enough for the build and that because LX seems to be Shimano's "red-headed stepchild" that I will be able to get a much better price on LX derailleurs than XT. I'm watching no reserve auctions for LX rear derailleurs go for as low as about $15 for LX, whereas the XT stuff is more around the $35-$45. In my mind I can't justify the cost difference, especailly if the technology on the LX gear is truly trickled down from some of the past XT technology.

Help me put this in perspective. (Hecubus?? You out there??)

Thanks,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Paste eater
    At 15bucks how can you go wrong? Although, I'm far partial to SRAM for this part -- IMO the extra scratch is worth it here...

Am I helpful, no.

Is this post useless, prolly

as you were...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    For sake of clarification, I've already tried a search, but it tells me no matches found, so I have to believe that yet again, the search engine is down.

I'm doing a budget build for a hardtail bike and I'm trying to get a difinitive answer regarding the true difference in performance between the more current LX and XT offerings. My sense of things is that the LX should perform well enough for the build and that because LX seems to be Shimano's "red-headed stepchild" that I will be able to get a much better price on LX derailleurs than XT. I'm watching no reserve auctions for LX rear derailleurs go for as low as about $15 for LX, whereas the XT stuff is more around the $35-$45. In my mind I can't justify the cost difference, especailly if the technology on the LX gear is truly trickled down from some of the past XT technology.

Help me put this in perspective. (Hecubus?? You out there??)

Thanks,

Bob

I had a LX RD... but have never had a XT.

However, the thing shifts smoothly (actually, the Deore already does that too), never misses a shift and it took with ease the 8 months of use I gave to it. I sold the bike off... so maybe it exploded into million pieces or maybe it's still going strong.

LX took a bad rap a few years ago. Also, was kind of a pointless gruppo as it was closer in price to the XT, but closer in performance to Deore. So the gain was little if you took the LX route.

This was before the 580 series... the newer 580 is one of the best values in Shimano... HTII cranks, Dual Control (whatever that means to you) and is very strong.

I would go for the LX and maybe upgrade in the future to the XT... but I'm positive you'll not miss anything.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    My first post here..

I had a bike with XT RD, Deore FD and Deore shifter levers, now I have Deore RD, Alivio FD and Alivio shifter levers. I can feel the difference, but that is because of levers.
    I belive there is no big difference between LX and XT, you can't go wrong with LX!

Matej

Chrome Toaster
    There will be very little difference in performance from LX to XT and even LX to XTR really. The biggest difference is the construction. LX has more material on it than XT so its a bit heavier. The cage on the LX is also a sort of universal one size fits all. Its REALLY long long cage, only one model. Longer than XT long cage. Or at least it used to be, I haven't really verified on the 580 series. I'm not really sure about this but I believe the pulleys might both be bushing instead of bearing. If you're looking for a budget build you really can't go wrong with one of those ebay LX ones. I picked up a brand new on for 9.99 once

Freshly Fujified

LX it is

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the input. As always I look for bang for the buck and get the sense that the LX will perform well, yet still keep me well within the budget I have established.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Hecubus, both pulleys are bushing, and the cage is flippin' huge. You are correct.

mtbr member
    get the LX and save the money, you wont feel a difference between the two

Freshly Fujified

Partial to SRAM, too

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    At 15bucks how can you go wrong? Although, I'm far partial to SRAM for this part -- IMO the extra scratch is worth it here...

Am I helpful, no.

Is this post useless, prolly

as you were...
    I also happen to be partial to SRAM. I rin X.7 on my full suspension rig. Problem with SRAM X series components is that they tend to carry the same premium that the Shimano XT gear carries. I'm not familiar enough with the SRAM SX series to be comfortable in using it. I have used LX and XT in the past so given my circumstance (I want good quality, but cheap!) I'm going with LX.

Not useless at all. Thanks for the reply.

Bob