mtbr member

LX Shifting Problems

Couldn't find anything in a quick search, so here goes

99 Rockhopper, with LX derailleurs and shifters. I threw a new chain on last week (using the big-big +2 links) and all was fine. Installed new grips, requiring a minor adjustment to the position of the brake levers and shifters on the handlebar, still everything worked great.

Pulled the rear wheel off for a new tire, that went fine, the reinstalled, and the shifting is off. Whenever I press the shift lever, I have to forcibly pull the lever back out for it to activate whichever derailleur I happen to try, front or rear. When I do that, it still shifts acceptably, but obviously its not the least bit ideal.

My only ideas (go easy on me, this is my first mtb, I have a lot to learn), are it could be a chain length issue, or maybe moving the levers with the grip install changed the shifter cable tension, or a combination maybe? But it baffles me since it worked well before the tire job.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Rob

mtbr member
    Upon further inspection, and using the park tool chain length equation, I was off about an inch on the chain, although correcting that did not help the shifting any.

Also for clarification, the bike shifts fine going to a higher gear (bigger chainring in the front, smaller in the back), going to a lower gear is where I run into problems.

Thanks

Where is my mind?
    I'm assuming you have LX 98, How new are the cables? Also, anything particular with the cable routing (i.e. using rolamajig or other)?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Yup, LX 98, nothing unusual about the cable routing. I have no idea how old the cables are, so that could be a factor, although I wonder if that would cause such a sudden problem

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035
    Also for clarification, the bike shifts fine going to a higher gear (bigger chainring in the front, smaller in the back), going to a lower gear is where I run into problems.
    Thanks
    Seems like you have a cable tension problem. Higher gear is not a problem, you said..... just going to the lower gear. Turn the tensioner knob clockwise, a quarter at a time and see if it solves it.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035
    Yup, LX 98, nothing unusual about the cable routing. I have no idea how old the cables are, so that could be a factor, although I wonder if that would cause such a sudden problem
    Check to see if the cables are frayed at any point. To me its starting to sound like the cables need to be lubricated. Gunk will accumulate in the housing and will cause excessive friction. I'm assuming you ruled out kinks in the housing and cable as well.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    The cables look to be in good shape, no obvious frays or kinks. I tried adjusting the tensioner knobs to no avail, although I might not have the "touch" necessary. I'll try cleaning/lubing the der.s and cables now.