Matty
    Oct 2008

LX Shifter stuck on 2-speeds

My LX shifter shifts only two speeds. Its in good condition, Ive taken it apart and cant seem to find the problem. can you help me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    model #? front or rear?

Matty
    Oct 2008
    SL-M570, front (thought I put that already...). Its probably 3-5 years old, but was working fine, and still is except for its stuck only in two speeds

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Is it the shifter or the derailleur itself that's stuck? With the cable unattached from the shifter and derailleur, how many clicks do you get on the shifter? Does the derailleur move freely across the range of all three chainrings (i.e. moving it by hand)? Have you inspected the condition of your cable/housing? OTOH if you truly took the shifter apart, it may never work again....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Matty
    Oct 2008
    The derailleur's fine. Yeah, I already disconnected the cable, and all I took off was the shifter mount and display, exposing all the springs and spacers - kinda looks like an inside of an old watch. I didn't take apart any of the mechanisms (I know my limits! ). Any ideas?

Just the usual suggestion of when shifters get old the grease may get gunked up, spray some WD40 or similar in there and work the shifter a bit and see if it doesn't come back to life, and if it does be sure to put some lube in there to keep it working....
    suum quique

ballbuster

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Just the usual suggestion of when shifters get old the grease may get gunked up, spray some WD40 or similar in there and work the shifter a bit and see if it doesn't come back to life, and if it does be sure to put some lube in there to keep it working....
    I got a set of LX shifters at a swap meet for uber, uber crazy cheap. Turns out they were sticky. I just shot a bunch of tri-flow in there, worked the levers around, and it freed right up. I put probably 2000 miles on those things without them needing any more work.

mtbr member
    Presuming the shifters are off the bike and no longer have a cable attached: Spray the crap out of them and work the shift mech many times, repeat over and over. If they still don't come to life then you can ditch them.

AGAIN, this all assumes they no longer have a cable in them. If they do then that changes everything.

banned
    Jul 2008
    Is it the shifter or the derailleur itself that's stuck? With the cable unattached from the shifter and derailleur, how many clicks do you get on the shifter? Does the derailleur move freely across the range of all three chainrings (i.e. moving it by hand)? Have you inspected the condition of your cable/housing? OTOH if you truly took the shifter apart, it may never work again....

Quote Originally Posted by clint999
    There some reason you're copying my earlier post? That's pretty weird...
    suum quique