mtbr member
    Oct 2007

LX 2007 vs Truvativ noir

Hi,

I know the noir is much lighter. How about durability? Is it worth upgrading? I hear the GXP bottom bracket isn't that good.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the noir is very strong, id say performance wise, all else being equal, theyd "feel" similar, but the noir arms are probably stronger and definately lighter, the LX has steel inner and middle rings which are good for long life, the noir has all teflon impregnated 7075 which is great for stiffness and slickness and they weigh less. the gxp is not bad, i just wouldnt reccomend it for FR bikes, thats why they have the howitzer. if you are at the upper levels of XC, the noir would be a good upgrade to lose about 1/3 of a lb.

g3h6o3
    You're comparing rather different products if you ask me. First of all the Noir is way more expensive and of course you enter the carbon vs. al realm. Had I had the money to buy the Noir I think I would have gone with it but I ended up with an XT because of the exhorbitant price.

As for the GXP it's as good as any other external bearing BB if you ask me. There is no fundamental difference betwen that and a Hollowtech 2. In fact I'm pretty sure that it's the same bearing sizes and that the GXP only adds a shim on non-drive side. I have not verified but I'm still pretty sure.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I know they're different realms but

I was just thinking if I can get a deal I might upgrade. Most folks say the hollowtech II shimanos are pretty good. I was just wondering if it's worth a couple hundred bux.

Noah

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Are you seriously comparing a top of the line crankset from truvativ, to one of the lower models of shimano?

wow, just wow