Thread: Lube/Grease

mtbr member
    May 2008

Lube/Grease

I have a Haro Flightline Two that I bought back in 2008. I took it out of its winter storage decided get ready for spring. I road it around my street today and the chain keeps slipping out of first gear on the rear cassette. The front derailur will not shift from first to second.

Is this a sign that I need to apply grease to it? If so, what brand would you recommend? If I apply grease and the problem persist, what kind of adjustment am I looking at?

addicted
    Some oil on the cables and pivots. Possibly turn the barrel adjusters out a quarter of a turn. Should have it working like new unless your cables are really corroded

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    sorry ,not getting this ,I also need help on this topic , how do you applied the oil in the cables or the pivots, what kind of oil ?
    thanks

nocturnal oblivion
    Sounds like you need to adjust the derailleurs, don't start putting grease anywhere. Google how to do this. Ultimately it may be time for new cables and housing though, requiring special tools that your LBS would have.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I guess I will make a trip to my LBS and have them take a look. I hope it just a simple adjustment.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Don't take it to the LBS before you try to learn how!

It's easy and sooooo many internet resources out there to learn how to adjust your derailleurs yourself.

for starters, go to http://www.parktool.com/ and look at the repair help section. Step by step.

If your chain is slipping into the spokes, it's almost always 1. a low limiter screw out of adjustment, or 2. a bent hanger. If this is not the problem, and it's not shifting correctly, you most likely have a cable tension issue (which may be sticky cables since you haven't ridden it in a while).

This, among many other bike reapairs, are critical skills that you should master so that you can get yourself out of a bind on the trail!!!!

Sam

addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Sounds like you need to adjust the derailleurs, don't start putting grease anywhere. Google how to do this. Ultimately it may be time for new cables and housing though, requiring special tools that your LBS would have.
    Cable cutters and an allen wrench

nocturnal oblivion
    I do agree with these guys, best to learn how. Although as stated more than one problem could exist, also including chain/gear wear, bent hanger, damaged derailleur, stiff chain, wrong chain, cable issues. I just think it's a good idea to start learning to tinker by enjoying, remembering, and knowing what a proper system feels like. Then take your Allen and Phillips and tinker away to learn to readjust the derailleurs/cables.