mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Lower granny gear options for Sram XO1 1 x 11 ?

Hi, I'm open to all suggestions for the following. Would like to duplicate the low gear on a 3 x 10, 22t front and 36 rear. Note this is on 26 wheels. What options do I have for getting this same low on a 2015 Sram 1 x 11, 32t front and 42 rear (on 29 wheels)? The ultimate for me would be a full Eagle 1 x 12 drive train. But for the sake of cost savings how about the Eagle 1 x 12 mini group (all but cranks)? Would I also need to get a new front ring with this option and if so what size? Any other lesser cost options out there like maybe just a smaller front ring only and/or cassette changes? Thanks for the tips from your experiences.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A 28t front ring gets you down to 1.2 with a 42t rear cog, which is better than the 1.3 gear ratio of 22-36. The higher the ratio, the harder the gear is. 30t rings are fairly standard on 1x11 setups and most cranks can accept a 28t as an alternate setup to shift the gears a little more in the easier direction. Lots of people use 28t front rings around here on their fatbikes. If you do road-races on your mountain bike, you'd want higher gearing, but for most people, this is not a problem. Mountain bike races are won on the flats and especially the climbs, so if you can pedal in the smallest rear cog all the time, you obviously don't need a 28t front ring, and you'll be capable of plenty of speed on the trails, the loss of a bit of high end gearing is a small price to pay that is very rarely ever needed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Ratios don't account for different wheels sizes so gear inches is a more accurate comparison. 22x36 with 26" wheels is a super low gear, about 16 inches depending on tire size. To duplicate that with 29" wheels you would need a 28x50 combo.
    I brake for stinkbugs

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Ratios don't account for different wheels sizes so gear inches is a more accurate comparison. 22x36 with 26" wheels is a super low gear, about 16 inches depending on tire size. To duplicate that with 29" wheels you would need a 28x50 combo.
    Wallah! 1x11 Eagle! Plenty of aftermarket cassettes offering a 50t cog.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    24x42 would also work.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Yeah, this. You can also go the new GX Eagle route to save a little more money.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    I assumed you're on a 22 - 30 - 40 setup (but probably not due to 26" wheels)

Here's a comparison between 3x10 with 11-36 cassette 26" wheel on top vs. 29" and...

...10-42 with 26T chainring bottom (I'm not aware of a 24T NW chainring for 1x11)

...11-46 with 26T chainring bottom

...11-50 with 28T chainring bottom

If you really need that low climbing gear with still an acceptable top speed gear a sunrace 11-50 or 12speed Sram GX are the only way, the sunrace setup would only need the cassette and a Sram GX 12speed shifter (which works with the 11speed Sram shifter)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Would like to duplicate the low gear on a 3 x 10, 22t front and 36 cog [on 26 wheels]
    Ha! I've been trying to convert the same gear to a 27.5. It doesn't seem like there is a good 1x option. As a result, I'm leaning towards a 2x with 24x34 chainrings and an 11-42 11-speed cassette(Shimano).

One issue, which I don't know if you have considered is anti-squat. From the numbers at linkage design, my suspension looks like it was optimized for a 36T 1x chainring. The 36T chainring in combination with the large cogs has anti-squat numbers in the 100%-105% range. As I understand it, you want the anti-squat numbers to be close to 100%. With 100% anti-squat, the chain tension stiffens the suspension just enough to counteract pedaling induced bob, but the suspension still remains active over bumps. As the anti-squat figure gets higher and higher above 100%, the suspension stiffens more and more moving your suspension towards a hard tail. If you climb smooth trails, then that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you climb something rocky, then you won't have as good traction.

In any case, as the chainring in the front gets smaller the anti-squat percentages get larger and larger. In other words, the chainring size affects how your suspension works. With a 26T chainring (and I want to use a 24T chainring) combined with the large cogs in the rear my anti-squat percentages rise into the 120-130% range. I guess it if feels terrible, I'll have to try a 32T or 34T 1x chainring in the front and maybe add a OneUp 47 tooth cog to the cassette, but that won't match the low gear on my 26'er.
    Last edited by happyriding; 07-17-2017 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Garbaruk has a Shimano 11-50 and XD 10-50 options at a considerably lower cost than Eagle and E13 and considerably lighter than Sunrace. It's marginally lighter than Eagle/E13 too.

Cassettes - PRODUCTS
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    If low cost is the main goal the new 12speed GX Eagle sounds like the better deal to me, you'll need the GX 12speed derailleur anyway to handle that 50T cog so why bother with a 11speed cassette, 11speed was just a temporary solution till 12speed gets available, Gabaruk should dismantle their machinery and hand it over to Sram to strengthen their 12speed efforts for total 12speed domination, by 2020 all bikes running less than 12 speed shall be scrapped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    If low cost is the main goal the new 12speed GX Eagle sounds like the better deal to me
    350$ for a new GX Eagle shifter, derailleur and cassette is 120$ more than the Garbaruk cassette. Add another 70-80$ if you aren't currently running XD.

Not to mention the Garbaruk cassette is 150 grams lighter.

you'll need the GX 12speed derailleur anyway to handle that 50T cog
    No, you don't.

so why bother with a 11speed cassette
    Cheaper setup at a lower weight.

by 2020 all bikes running less than 12 speed shall be scrapped
    Good! Maybe 11 speed options pricing will drop even further!

IMO Garbaruk has the best solution at this time. They offer both freehub standards so buyers aren't forced into an extra 80$ free hub swap just to run their product. They are also than their competition. Easy choice IMO.

mtbr member
    Sheldon calculator takes into account gears, wheel sizes, tire sizes, crank arm lengths.
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

This way you can even compare a 29x2.1 using a 175 crank to a 26x2.35 on a 170 crank, for example.
    If your only concern is replicating the gearing for a 26x? wheel/tire with a 29x? wheel tire it's easy.

mtbr member
    I do run the GX 11speed derailleur with a sunrace 11-46 cassette on a hardtail, it works with a chain on the short side to increase pulley clearance but I don't see how this is gonna clear a 50T cog on a full suspension bike where you've to take chain
    grow into consideration

If you don't have a XD driver you'll need to buy one for either 10-50 cassette, the Gabaruk cassette is nearly 100% more expensive than a GX 11speed

mtbr member
    The Sheldon brown calculator lacks visualisation and is just showing a bunch of numbers, fail.

A 175mm crank is 3% longer than a 170mm, just set the tire of the 29er bike to be 3% bigger in diameter than the real tire you're running to offset that leverage difference

mtbr member

If you don't have a XD driver you'll need to buy one for either 10-50 cassette, the Gabaruk cassette is nearly 100% more expensive than a GX 11speed
    Correct. 100$ For a 150 gram savings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks for all the options. I think I've narrowed my choice to an Eagle 1 x 12 mini group (all but crank and ring). XO1 for sure and if lucky XX1. Considering the increase in tire and wheel sizes from the old 26er I think the stock XO1 crank on the 29er with a 32 will work for me. Can i still use that 2015 32 ring with the new Eagle group?