notabouttoseeyourlight

low price/smooth shifting recommendations?

I'm doing a moderately extensive overhaul/upgrade on my girlfriend's hardtail KHS for a Christmas present. She is a beginner rider and I'm trying to make her bike as friendly and problem free as possible. I'm upgrading the brakes, fork, saddle, and drivetrain.

My question for this question is on the drivetrain aspect: her bike came with some kind of low end Shimano shifters and derailleurs that are extremely jerky and ca-chunking when shifting, even when properly lubed and adjusted.

I want to upgrade her drivetrain, I was thinking XT or XTR rear derailleur but I don't have experience with the XT's and I was wondering what the performance/cost difference would be? I would like to keep the cost as low as possible (obviously) but still get her a smooth shifting drivetrain. I have an XTR rear derailleur on my Specialized Enduro and I couldn't be more happy with it.

Also, strength is not really a determining factor as she doesn't ride any technical or rocky trails and probably won't be doing so for a while.

Thanks for your input.

The devil is an angel too
    XT is cheaper and performs quite well. Cheaper as in about half of XTR cheap. LX should work fine too and save you a couple of bucks. I would get an XT rear derailleur, because they don't cost much more than LX. But, if it is for somebody that doesn' t ride that much, LX should work. XTR would be overkill, me thinks, for us mortals, the weight and performance gains are usually not worth it over XT.

If you are replacing cranks too, go with LX. For the intended use, they are better deal than XT.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    i now have an Acera with an Avid Rollamajg, and it shifts so smoothly and fast that i cant feel it, it sorta feels like an XT (and maybe XTR, just not as much), you just have to have it configured correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

that rollamajig

Hope I spelled it correctly. I think part of the reason my 1998 XTR rear derailleur shifts so nice is because it has it's own version of that Avid "rollamajig". Avid has the right idea offering that as an aftermarket addition to any derailleur. I've heard it's sorta tough to set up correctly but once it's dialed in sweet shifting is yours on command.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Deore is quite good and very cost effective. I have been using a complete Deore drive train for over a thousand miles with fine performance. With octalink cranks, Deore is amost the same as two older LX octalink (not octalink II) drive trains I used for many more thousands of miles, and that older LX stuff was regarded at the time as equivalent to the yet older XT octalink stuff. The Deore derailleurs also seem to be just as good as their predecessors, including an old XT I had. On all three drivetrains I have used nothing but Deore high-normal shifters. The weight differences between all these components is negligible, but the price difference is huge. None of what I have/had ever wore out, except chainrings, cassettes and chains of course.

Chrome Toaster
    If you want to keep the budget low just go for LX and maybe even some Deore. Performancewise there is no real difference between LX to XTR. Its just different materials strength and most notably weight. LX will work just as good as anything else.