mtbr member

loving my new stylo 1.1 gxp and mrp 1.x but need more gear...

OK, shop installed a new Stylo 1.1 gxp with a bottom bracket mounted MEP chain guide, I removed the front der and shifter, and I love it, thought I'd be fine with 8 speed rear.
    BUT, its clear after some seat time I am definitely going to have to go to a 9 or 10 speed rear.

Initially I was going to just pick up a pg 980 cassette, X7 or X9 med cage, and shifter but should I consider a 10 speed rear? Price difference to go to a 10 is not too much, could go all x7 10 speed stuff and a nice cassette.

Thoughts?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    What size is your current chainring and cassette? 9 or 10 speed cassettes aren't necessarily any lower, although there are some options available that are. Even those lower gear options aren't a significant difference though.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Glad you like the guide.

I think the best value is X-9 9spd., I'd go with a short cage as well. I've got two brand new drivetrains (X0 9spd., and X9 10spd.) but haven't found a good enough reason to switch yet!

The 980 is a great cassette, cheap and reasonably light (get an 11-34). Get a X9 or X0 shifter, don't cheap out there, both are wayyyyy better than X7. I'd say a nice shifter is more important that a nice derailleur, it is after all a contact point between you and the bike.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    32t on the new truvativ and the cassette on the bike now is a 7 speed, 12-32, I mistyped that.
    I can certainly handle where I ride with my current set-up but I'd like a little more top end speed mostly.

Noah, Why would you recommend a short cage over med, will running the shorter chain give a little better response?

'All over it!'
    madsedan, you have any pics of your current setup?

mtbr member
    Not the best pics but you get the idea...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loving my new stylo 1.1 gxp and mrp 1.x but need more gear...-photo.jpg  

loving my new stylo 1.1 gxp and mrp 1.x but need more gear...-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan
    32t on the new truvativ and the cassette on the bike now is a 7 speed, 12-32, I mistyped that.
    I can certainly handle where I ride with my current set-up but I'd like a little more top end speed mostly.

Noah, Why would you recommend a short cage over med, will running the shorter chain give a little better response?
    from the sticky thread on cage length:
    Benefits of a shorter cage length?
    - snappier shifts
    - better chain tension
    - less chain slap / greatly decreased drivetrain noise (!)
    - better obstruction clearance / improved spoke clearance.
    - slight weight loss -- but you gotta be a real weight weenie to appreciate this one.
    A 9 or 10spd 34t cassette only adds about half a rear shift's worth of lower gearing compared to your current two lowest gears. A 36t cassette would add another portion of a shift's worth. In other words, you can get lower gearing with a new 34t or 36t cassette setup and you will be able to notice the difference but its still not a huge change.

mtbr member
    Thanks boomn, I'll give the short cage another look then, I was just going by what my LBS had recommended, from what I've been reading now there doesn't really appear to be much of a downside to running short either.

'All over it!'
    It looks very nice indeed. I have no experience with these types of cranks - would they be a FR or DH crank?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan
    Not the best pics but you get the idea...
    Are you sure that's not your neighbors bike? Looks like your peeking over a fence, thou shalt not covet thy neighbors bike!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

'All over it!'
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Are you sure that's not your neighbors bike? Looks like your peeking over a fence, thou shalt not covet thy neighbors bike!

Short-Change-Hero
    Wow you have done a lot to the bike since you bought it MadSedan.... One of the best pieces of advice I still hear around here... Ride the bike the way it is, upgrade the engine before you upgrade the bike!!! Think the big ring on my crank that I bought is toast so looks like I will be going 2x9 before I know it!

mtbr member
    Most everything done to the bike has been because stock broke and I knew what I wanted to replace it with.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you want more top-end speed, you have two choices. A cassette with an 11t small cog will give you a little more. About one shift, maybe a bit less. You can also install a larger chain ring. Chain rings for a MTB bolt pattern get much bigger than anything I can imagine using off-road; 36t would probably be a good size to try.

It's probably worth getting the tools to make this replacement yourself - you may have to experiment a little to find "your" chain ring.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Agreed, if I find I still want only top end with the new cassette I'll try a 34t ring next, easy enough to install. The cassette I'm going to try out is a pg 990 thats an 11-34, is that a good one to start with?

I was planning on installing the crank myself but my LBS wanted the work and didn't want very much to install it so I let them do it. I will buy the cassette tool and do that myself as I'd like the experience.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Honestly, I'd probably just get a 950 or a 980. Or a Shimano CS-HG80 or CS-M770. I haven't done any kind of scientific comparison, but I think I get a little better shifting from Shimano cassettes; I also think diminishing returns start to really set in after the first level that has the largest few cogs on a spider. To me, it's almost never worthwhile to get the most expensive model of any wear part.

Have you played around with the gear ratio calculators on Sheldon Brown's site? http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ You can compare the gear ratios you'll get with different cassettes and chain rings, and maybe get a little better idea of how it will change the way your bike rides to get something bigger. If you want more top-end, you might try figuring out which gear you use to complete your biggest climbs, if it's not the granny, and then getting whatever combination makes that ratio the lowest gear in your drivetrain.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx