mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Loose crank arms & lock ring after every ride

I ride a 2005 s/w Specy Enduro. It's got a raceface deus crankset, and XT cassette. After every ride, the lock ring is loose enough to cause the casette to jiggle laterally (maybe 1/2 mm or so) and make noise, and the crank arms are loose enough to allow the pedals to move laterally 1-2 cm. So I have to tighten down the lockring on the casette, and I have to tighten the 5mm or 10mm bolts on the crankset (usually just one, but never both, thankfully). I usually do this after my ride, but sometimes I have to stop mid-ride and tighten things up.

I'm 6'5" 190 pounds, and this is a trail bike for me. I am a masher on the uphills, and I do ride it hard on the downhills. It doesn't usually see drops of more than 3-4 feet, and I don't take it on jump sessions.

Is this indicative of a particular drivetrain (or other) problem? I've tried troubleshooting this on my own, but I think I might need to take this to LBS at this point. It's annoying having to stop halfway through a ride and tighten things, and that 10mm hex wrench is probably 1/3 of my pack weight.

Plus I don't want to do any lasting damage to the frame etc, so I figure I should address this sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
    -Jeff
    Last edited by jishaq; 07-24-2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Oops, misspelled 'loose' in title, duh

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Not Tight Enough

Invest in a torque wrench and tighten things to recommended specs.
    Lockrings and crank arms shouldn't come loose for any reason really. Installing them in a hurry and not having everything tight happens to most of us but after realizing it and retightening whatever is loose, it shouldn't come loose again.
    The Cassette is probably ok and more annoying than anything.
    I'd be seriously worried about those crank arms if they were mine. If they regularly loosen up enough that you notice play in the pedals you are wearing away the arm/spindle interface and soon they'll never tighten up all the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jishaq
    IAfter every ride, the lock ring is loose enough to cause the casette to jiggle laterally (maybe 1/2 mm or so) and make noise, and the crank arms are loose enough to allow the pedals to move laterally 1-2 cm. So I have to tighten down the lockring on the casette, and I have to tighten the 5mm or 10mm bolts on the crankset (usually just one, but never both, thankfully). I usually do this after my ride, but sometimes I have to stop mid-ride and tighten things up.
    I agree with Shayne. Invest in a torque wrench and make sure that the parts are tightened the right amount. If it's tightened properly, it shouldn't come loose.

If there are some splined interfaces that have gotten wobbly, consider using some teflon plumbers tape to firm them up. Consider too using some blue loctite on the threads.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    What hub? Some hub/cassette combos need a spacer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Another day, another special-purpose $$ bike tool

I've looked at the installation manual for the Deus crankset and it calls for 30-50 ft. lbs of torque on the 8mm crank bolt. I'll opt for the 50 ft/lbs side of the range, given the trouble I've had. I'll pick up the bits for my torque wrench tomorrow, thanks for the help!

The install spec doesn't give any torque spec for the 10mm crank puller cap that sits on top of the 8mm crank bolt (and tightens in the opposite direction) -- any ideas here, or is this noncritical?

As for the XT cassette lockring, it's spec'd at 30-50 N-m. Shiggy, the hubs are Crossmax XL Disc, should there be spacers? I don't think I saw any the last time I had it apart.

I'll get this stuff cinched down to spec and see how things roll!

-Jeff